Simon Fischer's Secrets of Tone Production - Experiences?

July 17, 2017, 8:37 AM · Have any here used Simon Fischer's tone production exercises to successful effect? Which ones are the most effective?

I ask because they're now available to stream not just as one DVD:
https://www.musicgurus.com/course?search=simon%20fischer

Replies (2)

Edited: July 20, 2017, 9:07 AM · I have found the exercises helpful. Simon Fischer says that they can help string players (not just violinists) at every level. I believe that to be true, but I can only speak concerning my own level. As to which are most useful (you use the term "effective"), my understanding is that they are cumulative. Each one builds on the previous. So, I have found the first ones to be the most useful because they provide value in themselves and also are necessary prerequisites for the later exercises. So, my recommendation would be to start at the beginning and work through them all. In his "Warming Up" book and DVD, Simon Fischer included a condensed version of these exercises. I believe that the idea is that you would go through all the exercises often (if not daily).

You can find a detailed discussion of the exercises in Lesson One of his "The Violin Lesson," which I would recommend to go along with his "Secrets of Tone Production" DVD.

July 22, 2017, 8:23 AM · I found the DVD to be very useful (and that's coming from someone who generally doesn't go in for real methodical micro-etudes). He is superb at explaining what each exercise does and how to use it.

I had been playing for about 35 years when I got his DVD, and still found it helpful (but I suspect it would be useful for anyone at the intermediate level or further, particularly anyone who can imagine what they wish their tone would sound like, but can't figure out how to get from here to there).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow