What should I play for practice next?

Edited: July 17, 2017, 6:09 AM · I play violin as a hobby and I practice for more than 1 hour each day. I just finished J.S.Bach partita 3 allegro , and then Krisler prellude and allegro(is that right? English is not my mother tounge...) I am 14 years old and now looking for something else to play for practice. I dislike Haydn though I know I should not.haha... so, any help please??

Replies (19)

July 17, 2017, 8:55 AM · Do you have a teacher? If not, that's okay. I know everyone feels that everyone should take lessons, but we must respect those in difficult life situations that prevent them from taking lessons. Tchaikovsky's Melodie, Danes Espagnole, Mozart Concertos, Copland's Hoedown, Bartok's Romanian Folk Dances, Bruch's Kol Nidrei (originally for cello), and a multitude of other repertoire are suitable.
Edited: July 17, 2017, 9:37 AM · Try some "easier" concerti like Bruch in g, Lalo in d (first movement), Mendelssohn in e, Mozarts, Saint-Saens in b, and Kabalevsky in C.

I remember seeing Mendelssohn on some of the Korean conservatories' required repertories.

EDIT: "concerti".

Edited: July 17, 2017, 1:10 PM · The OP is likely not ready for "easy" (they're not) concerti such as Bruch, Lalo, or Mendelssohn. Kabalevsky is a good suggestion.

The best suggestion is to ask your teacher.

Edited: July 17, 2017, 6:36 PM · If you don't have a teacher then there are some who may be reluctant to suggest new pieces for you because of the nagging suspicion that your preparation of the Kreisler and the Bach may not meet acceptable standards.

If you are playing these pieces well, then you may want to round out your repertoire with something slower and more lyrical such as the slow movement of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto or the Paganini Cantabile. If you want more up-tempo stuff then I agree with Mary Ellen's suggestion of the Kabalevsky. If you liked first movement of Partita No. 3 then you would like some of the Vivaldi Four Seasons (first movement of Summer, for example) and Fiorillo No. 28.

Edited: July 18, 2017, 5:50 AM · Actually I do have a teacher and she suggested I find a piece myself.

Anyways thank you!

July 18, 2017, 8:28 AM · de Beriot No. 9 concerto in A minor seems a worthy piece to consider at this point. It paves the way to romantic concertos such as Bruch.
July 18, 2017, 8:37 AM · My teacher gives me a list of pieces to choose from. Why don't you ask your teacher for a list and you pick your fave?
July 18, 2017, 10:52 AM · I'd agree the OP is not ready for the Mendelssohn concerto! I'd say in fact Mendelssohn and Bruch are quite difficult in terms of going upward in the level of major concertos. They require solid, solid technique and a lot of work, and seeing the OP has just finished the Kreisler Preludium, I would definitely not recommend trying the Bruch, or Mendelssohn.

I have not personally played the Lalo and Kabalevsky so I couldn't say anything concrete about those, but I agree with Sung Han that the de Beriot seems like a good choice. It's a decent piece in the Barbara Barber books to look at, and helps you develop technique for the higher level concertos.

Perhaps Mozart no. 3 could also be a good option? It's a moderately difficult piece that will help you develop neat technique and such.

Hope this helps!

July 18, 2017, 12:23 PM · DeBeriot #9 is similar in difficulty to Kabalevsky and is another good suggestion.
Edited: July 18, 2017, 12:31 PM · If you are talking about DeBeriot No. 9 (and I agree that's a good suggestion) then also Viotti 22 or 23 are kind of in the same general vicinity in terms of difficulty. Also Spohr No. 2 but warning ... that one has a few tenths.
Edited: July 18, 2017, 8:04 PM · If you are looking for a lyrical piece, you may want to consider the Concerto De L'Adieu by Georges Delerue. This is a one movement piece that was composed in the 1990's for a film. Technically it is comparable to the pieces you have played recently. Here is a link to a recording on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNoPRu1uQP4

July 19, 2017, 2:57 AM · What should I play for practice next?

One finger scales up and down each string, using 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers.

Then Kreutzer No 1 study.

July 20, 2017, 5:22 AM · Thank you so much!
July 28, 2017, 8:42 AM · Check out some of the concertos by Rieding, Seitz, Accolay etc. You may read this article: https://goo.gl/UtPpq6
Edited: July 28, 2017, 2:16 PM · If your teacher told you to find one yourself, he/she most likely wanted you to find a piece or two YOU really want to play so that you are motivated enough to learn and enjoy playing them. I would suggest you listen to as many violin solo works as you can so that you have pretty good idea which pieces that you really want to learn now and name these pieces to your teacher. Your teacher will be in the best position to tell you which piece you picked is suitable at each stage of your learning. If you already have the habit of listening to violin solo repertoire, it should be so much fun to pick and choose.
July 28, 2017, 4:35 PM · If you can listen to yourself critically, a Mozart concerto is a good choice. Getting to learn to play it properly, shaping the phrases, etc., can be very rewarding - provided your teacher doesn't let you get away with just playing the notes, or even "getting the style right".
Don't worry too much about not liking Haydn - He's the quintessential composer for listening to rather than playing. At least, that's what I have found.
Edited: July 28, 2017, 5:03 PM · I have always enjoyed Haydn. His piano sonatas are really fun to play, and the F Minor Variations and C Major Fantasia for piano are thoroughly wonderful pieces. On the violin I really enjoyed performing his G Major Concerto, and I learned a lot by working on it. The C Major would be next but definitely harder with parallel thirds right out of the gate. And his string quartets are amazing, its fun to work on some of the violin parts and play along with the recordings. Try Op. 20 No. 5 (F Minor), first violin. It's surprisingly violinistic with a lot of half-position and low 2nd-position passage work. Haydn understood the violin.

If you are playing P&A then I can't imagine why you'd need to study Reiding Concertos.

Edited: July 29, 2017, 7:59 AM · Haydn always makes me smile. I love all of his string quartets, his symphonies and his cello concerti. For some reason, I'm not crazy about his violin concerti and have never played one. Like Mozart, to play Haydn well is not easy. One's tone production, intonation and phrasing will make it or break it.
I'm curious, NaEun, when you play Krisler's P&A, what part is your favorite?
July 29, 2017, 2:22 PM · Handel Sonatas? They are technically easier than what you've played but great foundational work and beautiful.

Have you played the Bach concerti yet? A minor is really fun. I'm also a fan of going ahead and learning the rest of the Partita (since you've got that key in your fingers more or less anyway!) The second movement is gorgeous.

I also loved the Kabalevsky when I was your age. De Beriot, notsomuch (although I have more appreciation for it now). That said, my sense from my own experience and reading these boards is that all those Rode/De Beriot/Spohr/Viotti works that feel sort of musically trivial compared to the more famous composers are a very important step to building the technique you need for romantic repertoire (Bruch, Mendelssohn, Wieniawski, etc.) It might be a good idea to listen to a few of them and pick one that you enjoy. I think Viotti 22 and 23 and Rode 7 were in the same ballpark.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance