Very dry hands due to Medicine

July 16, 2017, 6:34 PM · I've been on a new medicine for a couple of months and it causes my hands to be very dry. I've looked at old posts on this topic, but I thought I'd see if anyone knows of any new products that could help.

Replies (11)

Edited: July 17, 2017, 4:10 AM · Marty, sorry to hear about side-effects of your medication. You have to hydrate your hands, bit that will certainly shorten the life of violin strings. This, unless you use pure gut strings and apply pure Almond oil cream.
An alternative would be to moisturize only the upper part of your hands, applying the cream on the top of your palm and spreading it with (the top of) your another palm. Many people do so in order to avoid their fingertips being greasy.
If there is a lots of friction on your fingertips, apply a very small amount of talcum-powder.
Lastly, hydrate your body with more water intake, less coffee and caffeinated drinks. Avoid diuretics.

Good luck.
R
July 17, 2017, 5:33 AM · During the winter, my hands get so dry that they will crack and bleed if I do nothing about it. Before I sleep, I rub petroleum jelly all over my hands and put on gloves on. It was recommended to me by a pediatrician and works well for me. But I don't know if my hands getting naturally dry is the same problem as your hands getting dry due to a medication.
July 17, 2017, 9:06 AM · Is there swelling in your hands which causes them to get dry? If so, I'd speak with your doc. My guess is that it is not just your hands that are getting dry but other parts of your body internally and externally...

If you are able, with your MD's approval, supplementing evening primrose oil or omega 3 fatty acids can help rebuild the skin's mantle and keep moisture in. Flax seeds added to your diet (again, depending on your condition) are very lubricating.

If you are unable to internally supplement, and applying oils externally are not a problem, borage oil based products are great, and shea butter-based moisturizers are also good. The key is to keep your hands as moisturized as possible all the time, and not give up on the regimen as soon as they feel more moisturized.

Barring more information, there is not much more that can be recommended.

July 17, 2017, 9:40 AM · bag balm and o'keeffe's working hands are the two products that have been most effective for me to heal severely cracked skin.
July 17, 2017, 12:20 PM · I had extremely dry skin for a period during conservatory, some kind of eczema. There were only two things that seemed to work: one was steroid cream, but I don't recommend long term use of that.
The other was Cetaphil, which works very well and is non-greasy.
July 18, 2017, 10:57 AM · I would recommend Eucerin cream for very dry hands-I had an ongoing bout of eczema and that cleared it right up! I wouldn't recommend putting it on right before playing however-I would put it on liberally before you go to bed and maybe a half an hour to an hour before you practice to it has a chance to soak in.

Hope this helps!

July 23, 2017, 11:39 AM · It puts the lotion on the skin
July 23, 2017, 12:33 PM · In addition to what Su wrote, get yourself a few pairs of those fine cotton gloves for overnight cream application.
July 24, 2017, 3:19 PM · Brian, you're going to get the hose again!
July 24, 2017, 4:06 PM · Marty, I use a pretty hippy-dippy coconut lotion that I find works. (Some people put a lotion on and then put gloves on to sleep, which keeps the lotion in contact with your skin - I have never felt like going through the hassle) You may want to play around with other stuff like caffeine and how much water you drink throughout the day.

I have had issues with Raynaud's, and I have it more or less figured out, but one thing that really helps me out is getting a sweat up regularly. I find yoga works best for me, but any cardio is big. Even taking up meditation may help. When I sit for 20 minutes, I feel my hands relax and sometimes I even start to sweat.

Edited: July 25, 2017, 5:40 AM · I have a friend who has dry hands and uses bag balm udder cream and swears by it. Udder cream is marketed for the obvious, dry cow udders, but works very well for dry hands.

I did a quick check of other similar products and there's something called "Udderly Smooth Udder Cream" sold by WalMart and Walgreens online. My hunch is it's basically the same thing marketed for dry human skin instead of dry udders.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music