Exercises to help 1st finger weakness

July 16, 2017, 5:55 AM · I am a returned adult player. I have come back for 4.5 yrs after 20 some years of rest. I noticed my fingers didn't behave as they used to be when I was a child. I noticed my 1st finger had a hard time reaching for B while the 2nd finger was down on C on the A string. Naturally the 1st finger would just reach Bb. My hand did some kind of strange squeeze of the thumb and palm to try to get the 1st ginger half step lower from the 2nd finger. I never remember that it was an issue when I was young. I still have this weakness after 4.5 yrs now. Does anyone know a good exercise to train the 1st ginger. Also, my 1st and 2nd finger are like buddies. They like to be stuck together. Any helpful suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies (3)

July 16, 2017, 10:09 AM · I think this is a hand-position issue. Could you post a video/picture so v.com will know exactly what you're talking about?
July 17, 2017, 7:46 AM · I suspect a hand position problem also. The first finger should rotate at the joint with the hand so that its fingernail is looking back at you when you look down the fingerboard. This takes practice and muscle development to do, but once developed, 1st finger motion is faster and more flexible.
July 17, 2017, 7:59 AM · Just a dumb question... are you playing on a fractional size instrument by any chance?

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins