My First Violin Restoration!

Edited: June 29, 2017, 2:54 PM · Just showing off the restoration job I did on that old presumed German violin of mine mentioned on the "C S Violin Maker?" thread. ;)

It had some scuffs everywhere and a big chip missing off the lower bout...

I got some tips from folks at Maestronet, a local luthier offered to let me borrow some varnish, so I got to work! First I made a patch for the missing corner, with some matching spruce...

The back just needed the color touched up and some varnish. The top was where the actual work took place! Some color matching done and some varnish borrowed from the luthier, and voila!

Like it never happened! :)

I'm quite pleased with it and I actually enjoyed doing this! Maybe if Lyndon is hiring I should go into the restoration business with him! ;)

Replies (26)

June 29, 2017, 3:23 PM · That is a great looking repair Fox and it is hard to notice even being aware of it from the before picture.

I hope that in the future you do not take too much of Lyndon's violin repair business away. Just kidding .

June 29, 2017, 3:38 PM · Fantastic! <3 <3 <3
June 29, 2017, 4:06 PM · Neato!
June 29, 2017, 4:16 PM · If I was in the violin restoration business, I'd hire you in a minute.
June 29, 2017, 4:23 PM · Very nice work.
June 29, 2017, 4:27 PM · Really well done.

I assume the bottom issue was from shoulder rest damage?

June 29, 2017, 4:32 PM · Did someone say SR....
June 29, 2017, 4:46 PM · Beautiful work! I expect playing it now gives you a whole extra dimension of pleasure!
June 29, 2017, 6:59 PM · Thanks folks! :)

Yes, the damage on the bottom was from some aggressive shoulder rest usage. The folks who oppose them can add that to the list of reasons to be against shoulder rests. ;)

These repairs of course didn't alter the way it sounds or anything, but it does feel more pleasant to play a fiddle that is whole, not missing chunks, however old it is.

June 29, 2017, 8:07 PM · I can say the repair looks as good in person as it does in the pictures. It's a fine sounding violin too.
June 29, 2017, 8:59 PM · So, just to be clear here; the first thing you did to begin the restoration was to remove the shoulder rest....

Just kidding!

I love the maple back, bet it looks even better in person. Great job on the spruce repair.

Edited: June 30, 2017, 4:08 AM · Wow...great job!

It looks almost as good as a new Chinese violin.*

*Threw that in for when Lyndon visits the thread...

June 30, 2017, 6:23 AM · All you need to do now is put on some new finger tapes so you can SEE where to put your fingers.

There, we now have SR, Chinese violins, and finger tapes in the thread, that should keep the discussion moving along...

June 30, 2017, 7:22 AM · Not forgetting CR (or absence thereof), geared pegs, and plain gut strings ...
June 30, 2017, 9:08 AM · And--Will this violin help Fox get into a conservatory?
June 30, 2017, 10:20 AM · Beautiful work!
June 30, 2017, 11:39 AM ·

I wish I could see the whole violin.

Madeye lol.

Go light on him now. He deserves an opinion right? :) I think it's better to err on the side of more expensive than tell everyone to go buy the most cheap ones. There is a happy medium in there somewhere I would agree.

Reminds me, I need to have my Agassi Afarti appraised. Sounds better than anything else and I found it in a flea market. ;) similar to what Donald Trump might say. " It sounds great, really really great. Just great.", I mean, just really really really really great."

Edited: June 30, 2017, 7:40 PM · "I wish I could see the whole violin."
Sure, here it is! (click for bigger image)

And yes, this violin is infinitely superior to any and all Chinese-made instruments (even non-violins!), it also has an allergy to shoulder-rests so one shall never be used on it, and I can now get into a conservatory and become a popular successful violinist regardless of my starting and current age! Also because there's no rosin in the world good enough for it, it shall be played without rosin, as that's the only way to bring out its full potential! We've been lied to by Big Rosin all these years!
Ok, I'm done. Thank you folks for the compliments. :)

June 30, 2017, 8:12 PM · This thread is hilarious, but nice restoration work:)
July 5, 2017, 1:47 PM · Nice work, Fox!
Edited: July 10, 2017, 11:48 AM · Nice work on this one! Is it common to join the grain at the back at an angle? The finish makes it look like the grain is even which is a nice touch.In actuality it looks as if the grain is joined at more of a 15-20 degree angle on the back.
July 11, 2017, 4:01 AM · Thanks Timothy! I'm afraid I have no idea if this is common or uncommon or sloppy work or a stroke of genius... The experts will have to weigh on on this one. ;)
The grain on the back is very wavy. It's straighter at the edges but at the center it goes back and forth.

Unrelated, I'm kinda sad I didn't hear from Lyndon on this one. I thought he'd be overjoyed I'm dealing with an antique violin instead of a modern Chinese for once!

July 11, 2017, 8:58 AM · I'm not in the habit of encouraging amateurs to take up fixing their own violin!!
July 11, 2017, 1:01 PM · "I'm not in the habit of encouraging amateurs to take up fixing their own violin!!"

Ahh, gotcha!

July 11, 2017, 1:48 PM · not that you didn't do a good job, considering!!!
July 11, 2017, 4:14 PM · Haha--very cool violin. Impressed by the repair job. It looks like a beautiful instrument.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins