etude suggestions?

June 27, 2017, 4:11 PM · I'm going to be practicing a lot this summer and wanted suggestions of some new etudes I haven't played yet.
I've already played all of wohlfahrt books 1 and 2, mazas 1-3, schradiek 1-3, kreutzer, dont opus 37 (and I'm working in 35), kayser opus 20, I did dancla at one point but seem to have lost the book, and I've done harvey whistler's preparing for kreutzer, developing double stops, and introducing the positions books 1 and 2. then there's the carl flesch and hrimaly scale studies.
does anyone know of some etudes/scale studies other than the ones listed that could be good? and preferably aren't the ernst polyphonic studies because those just do not look fun

Replies (14)

June 27, 2017, 5:09 PM · Fiorillo's etudes are very good.
June 27, 2017, 5:33 PM · Also Wieniawki's Ecole for polishing standardized virtuoso technique, Paganini's Barucuba variations for getting a feel for the caprices, and maybe Dounis' finger twisters if you need extreme finger independence. :)
Edited: June 27, 2017, 10:55 PM · hi Anna, you didn't mention Rode, so that would be a good suggestion. If you are already working on Dont op.35, however, that should already keep you more than busy! Also polishing up your Kreutzer can take a lifetime. Can you play them as well as the excerpts you can hear on stringology.com? (scroll down to the bottom of the page)
June 28, 2017, 3:36 AM · Wienawski's Ecole Moderne (suggested by AO) - just the easier ones. That book has etudes on the same level as Paganini. I second Rode and Barucaba variations.
June 28, 2017, 7:50 AM · Another practical approach is to get a book of wicked orchestra excerpts or concerto cadenzas -- often cadenzas have the character of a study or caprice.
Edited: June 28, 2017, 9:17 AM · Try GaviniĆ©s. By the way, what are your current working pieces? A focused, in-depth study will give you more bang for the buck.
June 28, 2017, 9:32 PM · I probably could polish the kreutzer and some other etudes, and I've actually made noticeable progress with them lately, but now I'm at a point where I'm sick of them and just want something new to play around with. right now I'm working on the first movement of the sibelius concerto, and I can play it all technically well and just need to work on phrasing. also I genuinely love sight-reading and new music, so there's that
June 29, 2017, 7:44 AM · In that case, GaviniĆ©s would fit the bill nicely. The Galamian edition (International) seems a good one.
June 29, 2017, 8:33 AM · Sevcik shifting studies (op. 8) might be worth considering.
June 29, 2017, 9:07 AM · Paganini 24 caprices, if you haven't done them...
June 29, 2017, 10:59 AM · I would think if you are playing Sibelius you should have either already done Sevcik opus 8.
Edited: July 19, 2017, 12:23 PM · @Anna Cats ~ You are an ambitious young (I think) violinist and have covered many pillars of the Etude repertoire with many here offering additional studies & hints re your musical study which from my perspective (as one of the 7 original pupils of Jascha Heifetz, and later, the first private artist pupil of Nathan Milstein for 3 & 1/2 years at his Chester Square home in London & p.t. Teaching Assistant for his Zurich Violin Master Classes), seems on terra firma track. With all your ground work, plus mention of being able to play all notes of the 1st movement of Sibelius' Violin Concerto well with, "... just need to work on phrasing ...", I must jump in here to state, emphatically, that as a veteran soloist, having performed & recorded the Sibelius Violin Concerto, you MUST address the phrasing and inner musical messages of all notes in the first movement of Sibelius' score. This is an indispensable RX for any young violinist who has the Summer to do lots of practising!!

Not wishing to spotlight my international concert playing/recording career here, please take my idea/s most seriously to heart ...

I.) if possible, visit the Land of Sibelius Soon & Not in Summer, but in the depths of the Finnish Winter ~ say early December, January, February, to absorb the environment and see/feel the jagged landscapes underneath mountains of snow which breathed Life into the Giant, Sibelius' imagination and inspiration for almost All his remarkable compositions (especially his Symphony Number V) and, Yes, his *'Violin Monument'. After performing it many times across Scandinavia, Asia, Continental Europe and in my home country, America, I know (even w/ Mr. Heifetz's Thumbs Up to me re my approach to the Sibelius) that being on Finnish soil is "The Way, The Light and The Truth ~" Your (what I sense) rapid coverage of the 1st movement is for naught if the experience of feeling multitudes of emotions expressed in the Violin Concerto are not felt, understood nor expressed ~

II.)You Must travel to Finland, & in so doing, walk the snow bound streets of Helsinki; bus it up to Hameenlinna, town of the birth-house of Sibelius now known & inaugurated on his Centenery, 12/8/'65, as the *'Sibelius National Memorial Museum' (w/yours truly honoured to perform the 'Adagio di molto' for the official Finnish Government Inaugural Concert/Ceremony which proclaimed the birth-house of Sibelius the *above with All members of the Family of Sibelius sitting/listening to a very young American protege of Heifetz play the slow movement at the invitation of All Five Daughter's of Jean Sibelius, just 3/ 4 feet away from us (w/Finnish pianist, Mary Lakos) & TV cameras from everywhere LIVE televising this Sibelius Centenery Event throughout Continental Europe plus!) ~

III.) Go to Finland, Anne Cats, in Winter, 2017, (begins there in November) and absorb the environment, the unique Finnish people, collectively, and visit the Sibelius Academy of Music in Helsinki, (stay at a hostel or Finnish owned Helka Hotel) and BE THERE for the annual December 8th, 2017 Finnish Birthday Celebration of Sibelius, 'the greatest Moral Composer of the Twentieth Century', & hear the Sibelius Academy of Music Concert Orchestra, conducted by the Finnish Conducting Guru, Leif Segerstam, on That Day (if you have to crawl to the rafter's!) of the Concert Hall & you will begin to more than "...just work on phrasing ..." but will reach higher than anything thus far in your life and will depart Vantaa Airport a New Person and authentic Musician in the making with Finnish Boots and beginning to grow Finnish Roots ~

Wishing you the Very Best and in closing, shall quote the greatest Men's Tennis Player in the World, the Wimbledon Men's Champion of 2017 plus his 7 other's, equalling a total of EIGHT, breaking a long held record, the 'Prince of Tennis', 'Roger Federer ~ "THE BEST IS ALWAYS WORTH IT ~"

DO IT, Anna Cats !!!!!!!!

Elisabeth Matesky *

*www.linkedin.com /Profile Elisabeth Matesky
*Jascha Heifetz Violin Master Classes, USC. Khachaturian,1st mov't., JH-7,
Elisabeth Matesky (YouTube)

*Google ASTA The Strad (Letter to Editor of the Month, 1/2016, pg. 10)

(c)Copyright Elisabeth Matesky, July 19, 2017. All rights reserved.

Edited: July 22, 2017, 7:41 AM · Anna, what repertoire are you working on now?
July 20, 2017, 2:04 PM · I think the suggestions of Rode, Gavinies, and the Wieniawski Ecole Moderne are all good ones. Rode and Gavinies have a distinctively different feel to them than Kreutzer and Dont -- I suppose the difference is rooted in the French school vs the German school of playing back then.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins