David Angel’s Twelve Quartet Commandments

Edited: June 25, 2017, 1:24 PM ·
1. You are sharp, unless proved innocent.
2. Play where your colleague is – not where he should be, had he connected as well as you.
3. Check your rhythm with a metronome before the rehearsal rather than letting your colleagues check it for you in the rehearsal. Your metronome is a true friend!
4. Rehearsal is all about establishing guilt.
5. Admit guilt straight away, as it is more painful having it extracted from you.
6. Never be the first to stop when the quartet is sight reading, however wrong you are.
7. Sleeping with a colleague’s wife can prejudice purely musical discussion.
8. Knowing the score is POWER!
9. Be patient; it may take years, but your colleagues will catch up with your musical vision some day.
10. Be confident in the next rehearsal as you alone saved the last concert!
11. A properly functioning string quartet is a compliment free zone. Should you nevertheless receive a compliment, rest assured it is always tactical.
12. When a colleague says they are having a problem with a passage and can you play it with them, they invariably mean that the problem is you.

http://www.arnicaquartet.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/quartet-commandments.jpg

Discuss.

Replies (9)

June 25, 2017, 2:11 PM · We received a very useful tip from David at a course with the Magginis last summer: When you play a phrase with one of your colleagues in the quartet play it with great conviction. Both of you should be absolutely convinced that what the other person is doing is the right way!
Rest in peace, David!
Edited: June 25, 2017, 5:00 PM · # 7 is in fact: making quintet out of quartet is a bad idea.

I am not impressed.

Edited: June 25, 2017, 5:26 PM · #7 is channeling "A Late Quartet", a movie I can't bare to watch.
June 26, 2017, 4:14 AM · #1. clashes with the first rule of violin playing. "Better sharp than out of tune"

Cheers Carlo

June 26, 2017, 4:44 AM · When your colleague starts explaining the way they would like you to play something, ask them to demonstrate what they want. After they do that (or are not able to do that in most cases) , exclaim "Oh, I see!" Then just play it the way you did before and they will probably say, "Yes, that's what I meant!"

June 26, 2017, 5:03 AM · I use 12 qzite often
June 26, 2017, 6:43 AM · I'm trying to work out which of these are actually serious. 1,2,3,5,6, 8 and 9?

And re 7, presumably also applies to husbands? (Though I am the only man, and the only married person, in my quartet...)

June 26, 2017, 7:38 AM · Doesn't 6 contradict 5?
June 26, 2017, 2:16 PM · Little wonder that it was recommended that any new quartette be named: "The Ill Tempered String Quartette."

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music