Glazunov VC Third Movement

June 21, 2017, 9:18 PM · How is the difficulty of the third movement of the Glazunov Violin Concerto in A minor? I've been researching and there's barely anything about this movement. How is it compared to the third movement of Mendelssohn, first movement of Wieniawski No. 2, first movement of Lalo, first Mvt of Bruch? Just those specific movements. Weird list, I understand. I just want to see if I am capable of playing it. Thanks!

Replies (6)

June 21, 2017, 9:36 PM · A bit of a very open ended question... Much more difficult than Lalo or Bruch. And that's where things veer off too much to be able to give any one specific answer as each of the others have their own set technical issues that differ between the three. If it's some awkward way of asking which piece to tackle next, then go talk with your teacher for obvious reasons.
June 22, 2017, 6:29 AM · Help me out here!

I don't understand a question like this. You listen to the piece, you like it, you look at the sheet music - the difficulties should be apparent immediately- whether or not it is at a level you are ready to tackle.

Am I wrong about this?

Edited: June 22, 2017, 8:38 AM · Pedagogically speaking, lots of the movement is very accessible, but there are places that you will get stuck comparing it to the movements you mention. Similarly the cadenza prior to the 3rd movement is quite challenging. I played the entire piece with orchestra at the age of 15, but didn't know how difficult it was so I guess I did ok. The only thing I remember about the performance is that I sort of woke up as I was performing it and said to myself, "what am I doing?" I quickly tried to stop thinking in this direction and completed the performance.
June 22, 2017, 9:19 AM · The Glazunov isn't normally split up into "movements" because it's really one continuous work.

The Glazunov basically gets more and more difficult as the work goes along. The cadenza is very difficult, and the third movement is moderately difficult with some spots that are very difficult. (There are a handful of places in the work that will basically eat all of your practice time.) Almost all the difficult sections are in very fast, awkward double-stops.

If you're looking for a concerto comparison baseline, think "Tchaikovsky".

June 22, 2017, 9:39 AM · Why not just try it and see?
June 23, 2017, 7:21 PM · I've never played this, and I won't for quite a while, but I've heard Glazunov is pretty freaking hard. I agree with it being around the level of Tchaik, that's what I've seen in fourms/lists close to Glazunov the most. I remember the first time I listened to it. I believe my interest was piqued by reading about Lydia's posts around the fourms about performing it. I listened to it and instantly loved it. It is now one of my favorite VC's.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin