"Hearing" intermediate notes

June 21, 2017, 11:44 AM · My teacher just started me on Kreisler's Liebesleid.
I know I have to keep a steady handframe and I am using intermediate notes.
When shifting I can hear the note I am aiming at in my head before landing. But yet I do not hear the intermediate note in my head. Do I have to hear/imagine this as well to be most precise with the intermediate note? Do I have to kind of integrate it into the melody in my head.

I read old threads but did not find an answer.

I hope my question makes sense.

Replies (6)

June 21, 2017, 12:49 PM · Yes. You can't find a darn thing on the violin without pre-hearing it.

Imagine the intermediate note as a grace note.

June 21, 2017, 1:29 PM · You should have learned all this with Introducing the Positions, which has lots of practice in using intermediate notes in shift exercises. But as Lydia says, yes, you have to be able to hear the destination pitch and the intermediate first. That's why I cover intervals with my students.
June 21, 2017, 1:30 PM · The annoying part is that the intermediate note does not always fit from a musical angle.
June 21, 2017, 10:37 PM · Thanks a lot! I will start humming it with intermediate notes. Will be interesting.
I guess it is a bit difficult for teachers and students alike (when they are returnees) to know what they don't know.
June 22, 2017, 8:45 AM · When shifting, I don't usually think of the position number. Instead, I think of the interval distance as measured by the "guide" finger. Also; be aware of all those in-between 1/2 positions. jq
June 22, 2017, 9:32 AM · Hi,

One thing that I find helpful it to find intermediate notes/fingerings that fit within the harmony/chords. More practical and more musical, a win/win. And, Kreisler most often did that too, which doesn't hurt in the case of this specific piece...

Cheers!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins