Where to study music theory in New York City

June 16, 2017, 1:17 PM · I am an adult learner and my music theory theory knowledge is limited. I can read music, but never got into harmony. Now that I'm starting to play more advanced stuff I would really like to understand the music and the theory behind it better.

I'm in New York City and one would think that there are a million options to choose from for something like this, but my Googling has not turned up anything, so I thought I should ask this awesome community.

I'm not interested in getting a music degree or anything like that, but I would like a structured program in which I can study for a few years and make progress. Similar to the way one can study a language: French 101, French 102, etc. I'm hoping a local university or music school has a program geared towards adults.

Any recommendations?

Replies (3)

June 16, 2017, 6:48 PM · A few books and music lessons seem like a good bet. Piano lessons have a great deal of music theory baked in. And then, for advanced stuff, you could audit some college courses.
Edited: June 16, 2017, 7:14 PM · Holy cow-- you can audit at City College of New York for free!!! GO!
I audited two years of music theory at the local state university; the TA's were kind enough to grade my homework along with regular students. Invaluable classes. GO! Books alone are no use without graded exercises...take the class.
Edited: June 17, 2017, 4:11 AM · Good ideas so far. Just to throw out another one, Mannes is (in)famous for its redoubtable theory approach and can probably offer a theory course in its extension division.

Also, just to get a heads up for eventualities, at basic levels most theory courses, however differently styled, should be in agreement - an interval is an interval, a triad is a triad, just as in basic grammar, a noun is a noun and an adjective is an adjective. At more advanced levels music theory becomes more analogous to linguistics, with different approaches diverging in interpretation and language about functions and contexts, etc. Mannes, for example, is a major bastion of Schenkerism.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

Coda Bow

Violin Lounge Academy

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Leatherwood Bespoke Rosin