Issues with Vienna's Best Rosin

June 12, 2017, 1:55 PM · I have been using Vienna"s Best for a year now. I have purchased my second one. The disc, both of them, started out fine. When it gets warm, here on California, the disc changes from smooth to rough, like it melted and got hard again. I also have Hill Dark, Bernardel, and a brand X that was given to me at a Violin shop. All are stored in the same box. All but the Vienna's Best remain smooth. Is this normal? The bumps on the surface are so large, it will take months to get it smooth again. Does anyone have an opinion?

Replies (24)

June 12, 2017, 2:00 PM · How well controlled is your temperature and humidity?

I keep my Vienna's Best in my case, and it hasn't behaved any differently than any other rosin I've used.

June 12, 2017, 2:07 PM · Guess it wasn't really their best rosin... :)

Why not keep it in the fridge during nights? That should keep it going until the next night.

June 12, 2017, 2:09 PM · Move to Canada.

It's always cold up there, eh?

June 12, 2017, 2:16 PM · As a Canadian, not anymore!

Climate change has screwed it up, now we basically get dreaey winters with snow above 5 cm being rare and frequent drizzles with grey sky...

15 years ago though, winter still kicked your *ss, what with two feet of snow and regular drops to -20-25 C/-4-13 F. :D

June 12, 2017, 2:37 PM · "Back when I wuz a kid, it snowed sideways as I walked uphill to school in my bare feet!....not like you young whipper snappers today!"
June 12, 2017, 2:38 PM · *Chuckle*
June 12, 2017, 4:02 PM · I thought about moving to Canada about twenty years ago. What stopped me was that they only had three seasons. July, August, and Winter!
June 12, 2017, 4:34 PM · I have had the problem with the rosin becoming bumpy. When you close the fabric around the rosin it takes the shape of the fabric. I laid the rosin on a flat surface, fabric folded over flat, and put a heavy book on top. It became smooth again.
June 12, 2017, 4:51 PM · I don't know where you live A.O, but we still get 2 foot snowfalls in New Brunswick on the regular in winter....

As A.O hinted, it sounds like it's melting. Different rosins have different melting points depending on what's in it and how its made. That one just appears to have a low melting point. Make sure you're not leaving it or your case in direct sunlight - the rosin will apparently melt, and it's not good for your violin either.

June 12, 2017, 5:49 PM · "I have had the problem with the rosin becoming bumpy. When you close the fabric around the rosin it takes the shape of the fabric."

I've had that happen to mine too!

June 12, 2017, 6:28 PM · Cannot one rosin one's bow just as effectively with rough-surfaced rosin? Some folks use sandpaper to roughen the stuff that comes factory-smooth.
June 12, 2017, 6:59 PM · @Leon: Lol, there were always 4 season, just that winter is 5 months, spring is two and autumn is 1 (still is, as it was 15 years ago). :)

Just that now winter has become a complete wimp, while summer gets worse... :D

@Dennis: Cool, and great idea!

@Michael: Toronto (pronounced tuh-ron-tow/toe up here-say it with me, eh)?

The problem is slowly creeping up towards the extremities of the Earth that are the poles, the hilarity of Buri, and the increasingly "normal" rampant IQ issue that seems to plague the kids of nowadays...

Paul: You could rough it up, but I find that doing so with anything not uniform (sandpaper is, keys are not etc) leads to the rosin wearning unevenly on the used surface.

June 12, 2017, 7:04 PM · Hi Michael--where are you in New Brunswick?
Edited: June 12, 2017, 7:23 PM · Hi Ron, Fredericton! I think we have met in passing.

I'm hopefully starting with FSO in the fall and look forward to meeting you properly.

June 12, 2017, 7:55 PM · So, do I have this right--"climate change" is responsible for not only melting the polar ice caps, but also melting Vienna's 2nd best rosin as well?

Stop the madness!

June 12, 2017, 7:57 PM · Don't forget open seams, Craig! It's taking our instruments away too!
June 12, 2017, 8:13 PM · And gut strings go out of tune when the temperature changes.

I could care less about Pacific islands disappearing beneath the waves...but if I go out of tune halfway through "Go Tell Aunt Rhody", well, then something surely needs to be done!

June 12, 2017, 8:18 PM · And those slipping pegs, I mean the horror...
June 12, 2017, 11:37 PM · Hah! Try using fresh but crappy plain gut Chordas in a room where the instrument needs 15 min to settle...

I end up retuning the D and G every hour or so (other guts are much better). :D

June 12, 2017, 11:39 PM · @Craig: Now, how to get Vienna's ACTUAL best rosin... we may never know... but I bet it involves raiding the company owner's nighstand vault. :D
Edited: June 13, 2017, 9:40 AM · Bah! All you whippersnappers with your fancy pre-packaged rosins and draw strings and such... Why, back when I was a youngin I had to make my own rosin after splitting rails. I also lived in a log cabin and had to walk 10 miles to school - barefoot in the snow and had to fight off wolves, bears and violists! But then I grew up to be 16th President of these here United States!

Oh wait...that wasn't me... What did I do?? Hmmm...

Edited: June 13, 2017, 6:51 PM · Chuck Norris doesn't even have to make rosin; he just rubs the split trunk on his bow hair.
June 13, 2017, 2:43 PM · Recent climate study voyage to study the effects of the melting ice caps cancelled due to too much summer ice:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/u-of-m-climate-change-study-postponed-due-to-climate-change-428030543.html

Now THAT's Vienna's Best kind of weather! REAL Canadian weather. Toronto is like the French Riviera of Canada or something.

June 13, 2017, 3:05 PM · We used to only be the somewhat less cold south (low -30 vs -45 way up north) up to about 5 years ago, then winter gave up after hundreds of years of overtime with nothing but a mix of Canadian hate and love to show for it. :D

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow