D string unwinding at the bridge??

June 11, 2017, 2:50 PM · For the last two sets of strings I've put on my violin, the d string has unwound at the bridge each time. I do follow the recommendation of using pencil graphite on the bridge and nut to prevent unwinding, but it doesn't seem to help. Any way to prevent this from happening anymore? I don't want to start a habit of putting new strings on once a month, as this happens frequently and is costly as well.

Replies (8)

June 11, 2017, 3:04 PM · Have the slot filed very smooth, and if that fails try a lighter gauge string.
June 11, 2017, 6:42 PM · What kind of Pirastro are they?
June 12, 2017, 2:44 AM · Are the strings deep in the bridge? Might just be time for a new one.
June 12, 2017, 3:22 AM · Sounds like the groove in the bridge is too narrow.
Edited: June 12, 2017, 12:52 PM · Agreed. Strings can vary quite a bit in diameter, so one can't just slap any old string on, and expect it to live happily everafter.
June 12, 2017, 2:38 PM · The winding in this case is not the coloured part but the metall winding around the synthetic/gut core.
June 12, 2017, 2:49 PM · Thank you, Marc, I will delete my post.
June 13, 2017, 8:50 AM · I would probably recommend bringing the violin to a luthier or a professional who can examine it further.

There are a few causes for string unwinding but especially in something as thick as a D string, I would think that the bridge slot is either too narrow and friction-destroying the string, or the D string itself is too heavy gauge.

There is also the option I believe for parchment, a little piece of material that is placed on the grooves of the bridge and stops wearing down of the string. However, that is only usually necessary for E strings, so I would still recommend getting it (the D string and the grooves on the bridge) checked out by your local violin shop.

Hope this helps!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music