Andrea Sanctus Rosin

June 7, 2018, 12:37 PM · Opinions? It has a hefty price tag!

Replies (7)

June 7, 2018, 4:20 PM · Jamie,

Just sampled it at the violin shop that I work at. Tried it on my own bow after cleaning the old rosin off of it.

In the beginning of use, it was amazing. Brought out great tonal colors. After a bit of playing it became very muddy and felt like you had to chug through the bow to use it. Almost how the old cartoons showed the characters in quicksand, the more and more they moved, the more they'd sink and the harder it'd be to move.

One of my colleagues, a fine violist, had a similar result. I never made him aware of my findings of the rosin and he tried the viola version almost a week after I'd tried the violin version.

Edited: June 10, 2018, 10:51 AM · So far my impression of ASR is about the same as Charles Page's. But - you might try the violin version on the viola and the viola version on the cello - that will be my next step.

My cello bogged down in the middle of some chamber music last Friday very shortly after I applied some cello ASR, but was fine when I then applied some Magic Rosin Ultra I also happened to have with me ("rescue rosin"). I also found the viola version of ASR troublesome after playing viola just a little while (maybe it will work on the other viola that has Octave strings).

I think the sliding friction coefficient rises rather quickly and gets too high so the string vibration is bogged down.

You might try applying rosin just from the harder outer portion of the cake to see if that helps.
EDIT (6/10/2018) I tried this with a viola bow and the Sanctus viola rosin rosining with just the outer region of the rosin - played for 45 minutes straight - worked great the whole time!

I will keep experimenting since the "damage" is only temporary and easily wiped away. Maybe these cakes will go into my large "used rosin drawer," the most costly deposit yet! One thing sure, they will not be leaving home with me again for a while!

If the truth be told, I used to have a similar problem with Liebenzeller III on my cello - but only after about 90 minutes of playing, but not as bad and easily remedied by just adding some more rosin to the bow.

June 7, 2018, 4:42 PM · Why try the violin stuff on the viola? If one is paying more for rosin, at least I d' expect that the makers would have determined which rosin fitted which instrument.

June 7, 2018, 5:04 PM · Last winter I bought some bass rosin for my violin bow because my favorite rosins just were not gripping enough and it worked quite well. I am also interested in branching out a bit and experimenting with different types of rosin such as those for cello and viola now.
June 7, 2018, 7:57 PM · Well, it is Sanctus! What has money to do with spiritual dimension of your sound?
June 8, 2018, 10:55 AM · Thank you all for the input!
June 8, 2018, 3:29 PM · I've tried loads of rosins. For the past several years or so I have been very pleased with Hidersine "Deluxe". It is good and it's cheap. Hard to beat that combo!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases