Unusual

June 5, 2018, 5:41 PM ·

Replies (57)

June 5, 2018, 7:02 PM · What are you trying to say?
June 5, 2018, 7:27 PM · Unusual things...
June 5, 2018, 7:35 PM · Unusual things are....
June 5, 2018, 7:46 PM · Shoulder rests.
June 5, 2018, 9:26 PM · Unusual things are not usual. Shoulder rests are usually discussed on this site and in most cases are usual for many, but usually this does not need to discussed again in the usual manner.
June 6, 2018, 12:23 AM · That's definitely more than one word, Bruce.

Unusual things are found...

June 6, 2018, 12:25 AM · Unusual things are found within...
June 6, 2018, 4:32 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets..
June 6, 2018, 7:26 AM · This is a frightening story. Imagine the possiblities!.

When I change strings the violin makes terrible groaning sounds.
Glue job gone wrong?
Poor wood selection? (I have a history of flying tailpieces.
Do I need a luthier or an exorcist?

June 6, 2018, 7:54 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at....
June 6, 2018, 8:04 AM · Do you change your strings one at a time Darlene? I think it is good to have our instrument looked at once a year by a good luthier.
June 6, 2018, 8:28 AM · Try the luthier first. If that doesn't work try the exorcist.
What kind of strings are you using? Are they legit? Can you be sure?
June 6, 2018, 8:41 AM · I agree that there may be a preferred order for string installation but I do not know. "A" may be the tension that counts?

( I have had my share of luthiers)

June 6, 2018, 8:48 AM · @Darlene- I'm no luthier. This might help, did the bridge move at all? New strings take some time to break in. You may need to re tune several times until they settle in. How are you determining the tuning? Do you use an accurate electronic tuner?

How about your bow? Is there plenty of rosin on it?

June 6, 2018, 9:29 AM · Good points.
On the back of my mind.
How does one know that the leg pressures are equal on a bridge ???
I don’t think so.
Many tuners here. Pitch pipe best.
June 6, 2018, 10:59 AM · If the violin sounded good before the string change we can fairly reliably say it probably isn't the violin itself, unless the violin was dropped in between.
Leg Pressures? Leg contact is important. You should never see daylight under the bridge feet or any inconsistency in relation to the fit of the bridge. Should fit like a glove. These need to be custom fitted to each violin.Bridge should line up in the middle of instrument at about where the notches are in the F-holes.
Additionally, the bridge should be at a 90 degree angle to the violin. Sometimes when changing strings the bridge can move a bit.
Make sure you have the sound post in position although this shouldn't have moved during a string change.

Just an FYI the demons really like the A string. Don't know why :)

June 6, 2018, 12:55 PM · Do you think that the self adjusting bridges are (sometimes) useful ?
I lean the strings back because I know the bridge will walk towards the pegbox eventually.
June 6, 2018, 1:13 PM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight....
June 6, 2018, 4:51 PM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on..
June 6, 2018, 5:33 PM · On the London Underground recently I met a lady who was going to play in the London Vegetable Orchestra the following day.
June 6, 2018, 11:05 PM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.

Interestingly....

(I can start a new sentence if I end the previous one, right?)

June 7, 2018, 12:06 AM · I believe that's allowable, Ryan.

Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars. Interestly, women ...

June 7, 2018, 12:17 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars. Interestingly, women eating..
June 7, 2018, 1:33 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.

Interestingly, women eating pineapples..

June 7, 2018, 1:52 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.

Interestingly, women eating pineapples turn...

June 7, 2018, 5:48 AM · This thread has strayed from the original and legitimate purpose so I have to turn the matter over to the pro luthiers. (That will change your tune!) .
Meanwhile, listen to your violin for distress sounds (other than your playing).

June 7, 2018, 6:18 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.

Interestingly, women eating pineapples turn into...

June 7, 2018, 7:59 AM · @Darlene, I'll need to plead ignorance here since I've not heard of a self adjusting bridge. Usually when my bridge is out it is adjusted by "my"self. I've seen players loosen the strings slightly and re position the angle of the bridge to the violin body.

If it's just a simple string and bridge fit, some knowledgeable music store employees will help with that. Wouldn't hurt to ask. Doesn't necessarily need to be a luthier for that.

The rest of this is well..........unusual :-)

June 7, 2018, 8:54 AM · The issue seems to be getting the correct contours for the feet to match the instrument. The feet can pivot to do that if provided. I've never heard of a "good" experience with a pivoting bridge.
Look for pictures of different bridges.
June 7, 2018, 9:13 AM · Oh I think I know what you mean now Darlene. I've never liked those bridges because even though the feet move with the contour of the violin, they don't exactly fit it.
I attempted a few times to carve my own bridges and I got close. Takes a skilled hand to carve one that fits exactly. You essentially need to fit a flat surface to a rounded surface. The curve is different for different violins. Usually a job for a luthier or someone who goofed at it 100 times and got it right the 101st. I've only goofed a handful of times.
June 7, 2018, 12:25 PM · There are indeed self adjusting bridges, but of course they're not magic; they just have ball joints right above the feet.

Anyways, why don't you just lay fine grit sandpaper over the top of the violin and then run the bridge feet over that? It should contour to the top.

June 7, 2018, 12:36 PM ·
Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.
Interestingly, women eating pineapples turn into...

Edited: June 8, 2018, 4:56 PM · Six months ago the bridge on my old violin (my #1) snapped without warning during a practice session. I had it replaced by a qualified luthier. The replacement was not cheap but worth every penny given the result - a transformed instrument! The bridge on my Jay Haide is now showing signs of age, and because I reckon its days are numbered (it'll break, for sure) I'm having it replaced this week by the same luthier who did the first one. I'm collecting it tomorrow. The cost obviously isn't just the bridge itself (£25 for a good one, say) but the 2 - 3 hours necessary to get that perfect fit.

I think there is rather a lot more to fitting a bridge than using fine grade sandpaper. You're trying to get a perfect fit not just transversely but longitudinally so that the bridge is perfectly vertical to the top table and fits perfectly over the area of its feet. With a well-fitted bridge you should not be able to see the slightest gap between the feet and the top table, both fore and aft. This can only be achieved, not by sandpaper, but by very skilled carving - as Tim pointed out.

June 7, 2018, 1:45 PM · I once saw a fixture for fitting bridges. My impression was “orthopedic “.
Maybe the “nut” is worse.
Edited: June 8, 2018, 4:57 PM · Further to my post yesterday, I've now collected my Jay Haide with its fitted new bridge from Bristol Violin Shop. The luthier has done the same excellent job he did 6 months ago on my #1 violin. Both are examples of first class carving with no gaps to be seen between bridge and top table - as I said before, that's not possible with a sandpaper job! The tone, needless to say, is vastly improved. The sound post may have been tweaked, but if so by a very small amount.

I gave my refurbished Jay Haide a good workout in a full orchestra rehearsal this evening with Rachmaninov Pft Conc 2 and Ravel's arrangement of Mussorgsky's "Picture at an exhibition".

The new bridge is made by Despiau (France).

June 9, 2018, 2:31 AM · Hmm. "Unusual" between the bedsheets at midnight sounds fun.

But how about a violist candidate being asked to join the first violin section, perhaps because I hold the viola high, vibrate on all four fingers, and play in tune?

June 9, 2018, 3:34 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.

Interestingly, women eating pineapples turn into fantastic...

lol I feel like I'm fighting to keep this G rated.

June 11, 2018, 10:08 AM · I don't know how Mars came up here, but that planet is an interesting subject. I guess if there are bases, then there are bed sheets, probably women and maybe imported pineapples.

June 11, 2018, 12:56 PM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.

Interestingly, women eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts ...

June 12, 2018, 11:56 AM · Note to self- Go buy pineapples.
June 14, 2018, 11:12 AM · Mars came up because next July we collide with it. This is on the very best authority. Simple.
June 14, 2018, 11:16 AM · Thanks for that info Trevor. Can you tell me which side it's going to hit on?.................................I plan to travel to the opposite side.

I'll need to pick up those pineapples on the run!

June 14, 2018, 11:51 AM · Tim, the Authority is sadly no longer with us so cannot provide full details of the collision. However, if you make sure that planet Earth is out of sight below the Mars horizon when you're there you should be ok. Anyway, have a swell party!
June 15, 2018, 4:40 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.

Interestingly, women eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts.

This....

June 15, 2018, 12:11 PM · Trevor very informative. Now we won't need to go there.

I'm thinking this could end up being a pineapple upside down cake.

@Ryan- Stringing all of this together in random fashion reminds me of classical music. One of the most level headed people here started all of this. What was she thinking?:)

OK I'll take a stab at this-

Interestingly, woman eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers.......

Oh, and here's a shameless plug for one of my recent movie/classical compos in the works.
https://soundcloud.com/starise/celtic-starise-angel-of-the-pond

Have a good weekend.

June 16, 2018, 1:07 PM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.

Interestingly, woman eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that ...

Edited: June 19, 2018, 11:18 AM · Interestingly, woman eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that pineapples....
June 19, 2018, 5:39 PM · Interestingly, woman eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that pineapples are.....
June 19, 2018, 9:55 PM · This infers that pineapples are coveted
June 19, 2018, 10:14 PM · Interestingly, woman eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that pineapples are coveted by..
June 19, 2018, 10:30 PM · Interestingly, women eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that pineapples are coveted by other...
June 19, 2018, 11:02 PM · Interestingly, women eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that pineapples are coveted by other interplanetary...
June 20, 2018, 12:27 AM · Interestingly, women eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that pineapples are coveted by other interplanetary fruit.
Edited: June 20, 2018, 4:12 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.
Interestingly, woman eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that pineapples are coveted by other interplanetary fruit. YouMustReturnThisContaminatedConfectionaryToItsManufacturersAndClaim.
June 20, 2018, 7:20 AM · Unusual things are found within bedsheets at midnight on Mars.

Interestingly, woman eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that pineapples are coveted by other interplanetary fruit.

Apples...

June 20, 2018, 10:33 AM · Speaking of interplanetary fruit. I think we have some of those right here on earth.

Interestingly, woman eating pineapples turn into fantastic beasts. This infers that pineapples are coveted by other interplanetary fruit.

Apples formidable.......( oh I made it easy didn't I?)

June 20, 2018, 10:58 AM · Apples' formidable foe, ...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases