Time is money! Practice Jar

June 3, 2018, 8:43 PM · Just to share a silly thing I started. Like the Swear Jar, in which you put some money whenever you or someone in the family swears, I started a practice jar some months ago. Just 2$ for every hour I practice. Less than one coffee.

I practice about 2-3 hours every day, and even if I made the numbers before, I am surprised at how the ammount piles up. Indeed enough in a year to pay for strings, a luxury case or a good bow. For a student it can very well pay for a very good violin just after the necessary years to graduate from beginner-intermediate to intermediate-advanced, when you need that violin.

In my case is silly: I take from my right pocket to the left one and I don't struggle for money to buy my things, but it may be good motivator for students that need some planning to upgrade their hardware.

And it feels good. I see how much I have practiced and I am proud :-P

Replies (8)

June 3, 2018, 8:55 PM · Maybe this will be my next task after doing 100 days to rebuild my practice habits.

Sounds like a good way to replace my falling apart case, hahahah....

June 3, 2018, 9:13 PM · Hmmmm... isn't this supposed to work the other way around? I mean you pay for the practice that you didn't do?
June 3, 2018, 10:04 PM · Roger, I'd go bankrupt...

Like anything else, I guess it just depends on outlook. For me I'd see it as a fun way to save. If I really want X item, then I have to practice x hard to earn it.

June 4, 2018, 4:17 AM · I'd be worried about this scenario:

"Gee, I'd really like to work on this piece for another hour today, but I can't afford it."

Edited: June 4, 2018, 7:59 AM · One's Other Half might well audibly wonder, "where's all the money going?" ;)
June 4, 2018, 7:26 AM · I've often recommended to students a similar concept of keeping track of repetitions by dropping a penny in a jar (with a goal of 10). Simplistic, but it can be very effective in keeping one on task...
June 10, 2018, 5:50 PM · I'm a beginner trying to learn on my own for the time being and it can be hard to see much progress. Doing something like this, or even just marbles in a jar or something similar might be a good way for me to see some progress, even if I can't hear any, then I can keep hoping that eventually that progress /those hours of training will actually result in real progress with my playing.
June 12, 2018, 3:54 AM · I used the "100 club" concept with my children when they were younger. The concept was that there was something they really wanted to get and I would give it to them after they had practiced 100 days in a row. After that practice was more or less a natural habit, and it was much easier to get them to practice.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases