Warchal Brilliants: Better than Evah Pirazzi?

June 3, 2018, 10:00 AM · I've read nothing but 5-star 100% reviews about the brilliants online.

I've heard they project, are warm, powerful, and can compare with $100 synthetics. For $45 its sounds too good to be true

Are they better than Evah's?

Replies (13)

June 3, 2018, 10:54 AM · I didn't get along with them well, but my experience may be unusual.
June 3, 2018, 12:46 PM · They didn't work for me, but my comparison is to Vision Solos, which work better on my instrument than EPs.
June 3, 2018, 1:07 PM · I loved them when I used them on my viola. I unfortunately recently changed them out and have a bit of a backlog of strings I want to try to eat through before I get back to them (assuming I don't find something I like even more before then..!)
June 3, 2018, 1:11 PM · Brilliant Vintage has been great on my violin. They replaced Evah Pirazzi Golds, initially.
Edited: June 9, 2018, 7:26 PM · Probably depending on your taste and instrument. I, in general, prefer warm and colorful strings, ideally with some sweetness. I have to admit my taste on strings is way above my playing ability to judge the capability of strings. Nonetheless, I have to say they do not do too well on my violins, at least not on my top ten string list.

For your reference, the following are the top six strings I prefer to use as I obsess the ever-lasting "string test" experiment that is unfortunately costly.

Passione (regular)
Evah Pirazzi Gold
Larsen Tzigane
Wondertone Solo
Peter Infeld
Evah Pirazzi (green)

The Warchal strings I do like are Brilliant Vintage, especially as the inexpensive alternative to Passiones and Larsen Tziganes, I also sometime use Amber, just the A string, as the replacement for the other moderate tension A strings (e.g., Obligato or Vision Solo As). BTW, the popular Warchal Amber E, although I bought a bunch because of sublime reviews, just did not do for me, a good example for the marked difference in individual preference.

The strings I used most frequently are Wondertone Solo (my default strings) and Evah Pirazzi green, although I probably like Passiones the most for color and warmth. However, Passiones are still somewhat annoying due to the required daily tuning that lasts entire life of the strings.

Among the affordable strings (or so-called high-quality student strings), I would think Dominant and Cantiga are good all-around ones.

June 4, 2018, 4:06 AM · There are no clear absolutes, other than synthetics don't really sound or play like gut: EP green are the "best" for some soloists, and so are the Gold. Many use Pi, others stick with "the original" Dominant. There are no answers that can satisfy this sort of question successfully, without taking into account the player and instrument preference.

Think about headphones: different frequency response, different prices, diverse expectations. Which is the best for you? Can't be answered, and price doesn't mean much at all.

Brilliant Vintage are good. Indeed, as long as the strings are reasonably good quality, all's good and up to the player to make them sound great. Take into account your bowing style and general tension requirements of your instrument, and you are good to go. The Brilliants are not inferior to EP just because of their generally lower price (which is not to say the EPs must be worse.)

Too much marketing these days make people look for the mythical "best string ever made" that realistically cannot exist for all players and violins at any price, cheap or Pi.

Perpetual are the best because they are loud, the latest, and perpetually last: perfect sounding and immune to longevity issues, with an exuberant lustre. Buy now (or just choose whatever works best for you, Brilliant or otherwise.)

June 8, 2018, 12:39 AM · Alex A: where do you get warchal string for that price? I am living in the country neighbour with Slovakia (in czech republic, we were one country). And I see on their website price 85 euros. I cannot find any seller in my country, so I am looking on warchal e-shop.
Edited: June 8, 2018, 4:45 AM · Johnson String in Massachusetts sells Warchal Brilliants for about $45 and sometimes they are on sale for a bit less. I also think that the Brilliants are a better string than Evahs.
June 8, 2018, 4:27 AM · I love the Brilliants on my 17” viola.

Warchal is one of the few that makes strings designed for big violas (390mm VSL)

June 8, 2018, 4:45 AM · Pirastro does
Edited: June 8, 2018, 1:31 PM · They're terrible strings. Supposed to have large projection. I changed one string, the D string, for reference. Sound volume lowered significantly. Tone wasn't all that good either.
June 8, 2018, 3:36 PM · Depends on your definition of 'better' in this case.

(but as someone who loves Warchal strings, I'm gonna say yes, they are better!)

June 12, 2018, 5:31 PM · Although neither is my strong favorite, I vote for EP between the two.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases