Perpetual strings

May 29, 2018, 8:31 AM · Anyone tried the new perpetual strings yet? I'm tempted to try a pair, but haven't seen anything comparing their tone to other options.

Replies (53)

May 29, 2018, 10:23 AM · Never heard of em
May 29, 2018, 2:32 PM · https://mobile.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/
Edited: May 29, 2018, 5:25 PM · I haven't heard about "perpetual strings" either. When I called up that Pirastro page on my PC just now all I got was an on-screen message from the website saying, "Please turn back to portrait mode", and in German, "Bitte zurück in hochformat drehen". No further instructions followed that baffling message, and I was unable to progress to information about the strings, or anything else on the Pirastro wesite.

May 29, 2018, 6:19 PM · https://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/Perpetual-00004/
May 29, 2018, 7:14 PM · Shar is selling them now but they haven't updated their string chart to include them yet
May 29, 2018, 8:41 PM · We talked about them some weeks ago. Since then I have seen them in thestringzone website, where they seem to run out of stock as soon as they receive them, but nobody has yet made any review. It's too soon for a useful one, IMO. By their tension they probably will compete with their own Evahs (normal or Gold), and what people coming from Evahs will expect is longer longevity and, if that is delivered, in exchange of what, if anything. And it's too soon for that.
Edited: May 29, 2018, 11:51 PM · I received a sample from Pirastro in Germany at their booth at the Frankfurt messe in April where they first officially introduced them. I believe it is the first string originally released as a cello string then to have a violin version!

I have tried them on several violins, and they are not like Evahs at all, in fact they are a unique string. The tension is high, yet the diameter is thinner than evahs. The diameter is more like the tonicas, and also similar to kaplan amos and vivos in diameter. The perpetual strings are highly polished, giving a nice soft feel under the fingers.

I find the tone to have a colorfully bright and modulable character with a smooth and round tone around that coupled with a robust character. They are flexible to the tug and seem to move back into less wide hemholtz swing sooner giving a clean response for fast playing.
The e is platinum, but I think it would be worth exploring other e options aside from perpetuals too. I'll report my pairings later.

I don't carry them at Bay Fine Strings yet, but I will soon. They will be a little higher priced than Evahs, probably because of the platinum e-string. I really think that Pirastro did well translating the feel of the string from cello to violin.

May 30, 2018, 12:38 AM · The perpetual comes with a choice of 2 different A's: Aluminum on synthetic or chrome on steel. Which one did you try?
May 30, 2018, 7:38 AM · Vadim Repin now seems to be using them to some degree. Not that you need to use what he-or anyone else-does.

I won't try them as I am happy with gut at the moment, but the E is good, at the perpetual set tension ("7.9kp"), which is standard for Perpetual, and "weich" for Platinum Evah Pirazzi. As I mentioned somewhere else, the dolce EP variant platinum E, while nit being heavy, feels "heavier", so I would advocate for others to try this "Weich" platinum string if you found the "medium" E (in reality, heavy gauge) too overwhelming. The fact that it's the standard for the perpetual set gives mw the impression that the "7.9kp" string is more balanced (sounds good IME.)

I assume a Goldbrokat (A+++ IMHO) would work just as well with the Perpetual, along with the populars Jargars, etc. But admit the Platinum E lends a different voice to the instrument, so a medium Goldbrokat Perpetual is likely to sound differenr than a Platinum E one, for better or worse.

(BTW, it doesn't whistle for me. Oliv E does very few times, Platinum generally only due to human error, as in most other "regular" Es.)

May 30, 2018, 8:06 AM · The online supplier thestringzone.co.uk has the Perpetuals in stock, the set being priced from £82.92, and the chromesteel A set £87.80. TSZ's price for the E is £12.24. These prices include VAT & free delivery in the UK, but the VAT component is removed at checkout for non-EU orders.

Wonderful and attractive though these strings undoubtedly are, I think I'll stick to my Chordas + Obligato E - I don't want to sound "that" prominent in orchestra!

May 30, 2018, 10:37 AM · I tried aluminum A, which is standard to the set.
May 31, 2018, 8:50 AM · I sent them an inquiry to see if/when they'll be coming out with a set for viola. Haven't heard back from them yet.

I'm a sucker for new strings....

Edited: May 31, 2018, 5:52 PM · Sign up to win a set and let us know:

https://theviolinchannel.com/vc-giveaway-pirastro-perpetual-violin-string-set-giveaway-enter-to-win/

June 3, 2018, 11:34 AM · A good friend has just talked to a dealer in Vienna who has tried several demo sets on his violins. His response was that they are fantastic on some, giving them an unbeatable sound and power while on some others they do not have the same effect. I have also learned that although they are about the same tension as the EP, due to a more flexible core material they feel as if their tension is lower.
June 5, 2018, 3:14 AM · Not available for viola. My response from Pirastro:

“Thanks for your email and your interest in our PIRASTRO products.

At this stage VIOLA PERPETUAL is not available.”

June 5, 2018, 3:05 PM · My guess is that "At this stage" is code for, "pencilled in on our to-do list".
June 6, 2018, 6:35 AM · Its a really comfy strings to play with.
June 8, 2018, 3:52 AM · I have a set coming from Pirastro to test. I paid 60 euros+bank transfer commission, but I get the metal A and the stark E on top for this price.

June 8, 2018, 8:26 AM · Perpetual is very nice. The sound is very focused, more so than the Evah's. Volume is the exact same as Evahs. Open G is on the darker side, but near the Evah Green. Finger harmonics very responsive. Open strings resonate more on the magical notes, GDAE. I didn't install the platinum E. I use the 27g steel Goldbrokat E. Someone mentioned a thinner diameter. I haven't compared it side-by-side, but I make fewer double stop errors on the Tchaikovsky violin concerto. I was dumbfounded at the time. Why am I playing these right all the sudden? I think my fat fingers prefer the thin Perpetuals.
June 9, 2018, 12:02 PM · I just bought a set, my curiosity got to me. I'll put them on when my Dominants wear out
June 9, 2018, 2:12 PM · Keep the reviews coming, I am also curious a lot ;)
June 9, 2018, 6:07 PM · Tom - you should try the platinum E that comes with the set. It is the same as the pirazzi platinum E, and for my setup it improved the other three strings.
June 9, 2018, 11:19 PM · Have to modify my initial impression. When I took off the old Evahs and put on new Perpetual, the Perpetual was more focused (not surprisingly). I put new Evah's on, (to make it a legit comparison) and there was minimal increase in focus. About the same, actually. The tone of the Evah Green was a little more pleasant to listen to, but I like the thinner diameter of the Perpetual. The bow doesn't bounce as easily, however. I personally like the overall quality of Thomastik PI more. Volume with more rounded tone. I get a slight metallic hiss from the Evah and Perpetual.
June 15, 2018, 6:18 AM · My findings are the same as Tom Supakorndej in his initial post. I put them on the Jacquot and it gave it more brilliance which I like but also a bit of metallic sound which I hope goes away after some use. The responsiveness and articulation are much improved. I'm a Pirastro kind of guy and I will be using the Perpetual from now on. I can't wait to try them on the Vuillaume when it comes out of hibernation this winter. I sense they are going to be perfect for it, even better than on the Jacquot.
Edited: June 16, 2018, 6:59 AM · I could not resist any longer to put them on and after a couple of hours I really enjoy the neutral clear sound. I played a couple of EP Gold sets before on my violin.

I think there is a lot of truth in the comments to this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDrYIipOyRk

EP Gold has a distinct voice of its own, which one may or may not like, and a violin can be better or worse at bringing it out. Perpetual has less of this own characteristic.

I am not sure if this is an evidence: I used Intonia to tune up the A to 443Hz and the lines are much narrower with Perpetual than with EP Gold, probably meaning less wide spread frequency distribution (not to mixed up with the overtones of course).

I also hope the metallic edge goes away a bit more. I only hear it on the A (synthetic), so there would be the steel one to try in case this does not go away.

Edited: June 16, 2018, 7:50 AM · New Coke. (Remember Josta?)
June 16, 2018, 10:58 AM · I just tried a Perpetual G. So far, I'd say it's the most "focused" string I have ever tried. Of course, some will like this, and some will not.

Will be trying the other strings as the day goes on (I like to start by trying a string individually, so I still have the other strings to compare it with). The D only comes in silver, so we'll see how that goes. Generally, I don't like silver D's, because the bow doesn't grip the string as well as with an aluminum winding.

The G seems to be a little higher tension than the Dominant I had on before, based on the adjustment needed to optimize it, but sometimes this changes as a new string stretches.

June 16, 2018, 11:14 AM · Grip on the silver D seems to be fine. The Pirastro rep may have said something to me about changing the surface finish to get better grip on that string, but we got into such a lengthy and involved discussion about various strings, that I don't remember for sure. LOL
Edited: June 16, 2018, 12:01 PM · With the very hefty price tag, the durability would be a most important consideration. It seems like folks above, for the most part, like the sound and play ability of them. How long would they retain their sparkle and actually last?
Edited: June 16, 2018, 12:16 PM · The Perpetual A string:
I was relieved to find that it doesn't stretch nearly as much as the Evah A, upon installation. The Evah A stretches so much when brought up to pitch, that the windings separate enough to act like a file on the bridge and upper nut grooves. Was never happy with the Evah A for that reason, although they can sound and work quite well for those who like that level of "focus". The Pirastro rep may have also told me the they were experimenting with less abrupt edges on the windings, but again, I don't remember for sure, given all we discussed.

I'll probably wait 'till tomorrow to try the E. Sound assessment acumen deteriorates as the length of the session increases, and it's easy to lose your way. I've leaned over and over that it's better to come back with "fresh ears".

June 16, 2018, 1:56 PM · David, looking forward to your assessment of the E string. I've already tried this set and like it very much, having come from Evah greens. I wasn't crazy about the Evah Platinum E, and I believe the Perpetual is the same E...although it seems to match better with Perpetuals, according to my ears. The search for the best E string is still a source of 'perpetual' uncertainty, unfortunately...;)
June 16, 2018, 2:02 PM · When you say "focused", David, do you mean there's a lack of complexity and richness, or just that there's a particularly overwhelming center core to the sound?
Edited: June 16, 2018, 7:00 PM · Lydia, I wouldn't describe it as a lack of complexity or richness, but different people may see it different ways. Unfortunately, violin sound assessments don't have an agreed-on set of definitions or terminology, so we just stumble along as best we can. What I can say is that someone who prefers Obligatos, probably wouldn't like the Perpetuals at all. I don't happen to be in that camp, but as always, some will depend on the fiddle. Obligatos can be useful for knocking down an obnoxiously bright fiddle, but I find them too "fuzzy" sounding and responding for general use.

Peter, yes, the Pirastro rep told me that the Evah platinum E, and the Perpetual platinum E are the same thing. I have one of each in their different packages, but one is "medium" and the other is "thick", so I don't have a solid way of independently verifying that they produce the same outcomes, at this point.

About two months ago, I took a tour of the D'Addario string factory on Long Island. Fascinating stuff for geeks like me, including miles of string material continuously passing though a molten tin bath. Including guitar strings, they turn out around three-quarter million strings per day! A sizeable proportion of it involves "hand work", like applying the "silking" on the upper and lower ends of violin strings. The string was spun by a machine, but the thread was applied and glued to the spinning string by hand, including striped patterns.

Edited: June 17, 2018, 7:51 AM · The Perpetual platinum E:
I didn't notice nearly as much difference with the E, as I had with the other three strings. While it seems to be fine, I'm not sure I could tell it apart from my normal "go to" E (the Hill) in a blind test.

All things considered, I'd characterize the Perpetual strings as one more step in the direction that started years ago with the Dominants, allowing most violins to get a clearer sound and better response than with the mainstream gut core strings, and also allowing an evolution in technique and playing style.
Some may think this string has taken this evolution a step too far. I do not, but tastes vary.

Durability wise, I'd expect the Perpetual A to be a huge improvement over the Evah A, which I always found to be problematic, and really tried to avoid using.

After being under tension for about a day, the violin worked pretty well with the same adjustment which had worked for the Dominants. This is different from the Evahs, where I always had to change the adjustment of the violin to get the strings optimized. It also suggests that the Perpetuals won't "choke" the violin, like the Evahs can do on some instruments, but I don't have one of these easily-choked violins here right now to try this on.

Again, these strings might be a poor choice for someone who likes more of a fuzzy or diffuse character, or who wants a sound under the ear which is more like the attenuated version that one hears out in the audience in a hall.

June 17, 2018, 8:10 AM · David, I assume this is the Perpetual default E, medium, that comes with the set. Have you tried the 'heavy' version too?
Edited: June 17, 2018, 8:55 AM · I tried both. As I mentioned earlier, one was an Evah and one was a Perpetual, but I was told by Pirastro that they are exactly the same E, aside from differences in the packages they come in, and the colors of the silking at the ends of the string.
I haven't yet tried any of the Perpetual strings on a wide range of violins.
June 17, 2018, 3:22 PM · Thanks, David.

You bring up an interesting point. I prefer a sound under the ear which is more like what you hear in the hall. I much prefer the sound of my own violin at a distance than under the ear. I like a more gut-like sound, but my teacher prefers to hear more focus.

Passiones are usually good on my violin, but this summer, are sounding a bit flabby and feeling sluggish despite an adjustment. And the tuning stability is annoying me, so I'm thinking about changing out this set early for an experiment with Perpetuals, but I suspect from what you're saying, I might not like them.

June 17, 2018, 7:47 PM · Ms. Leong,

Maybe go for the lighter Passiones? Likely less sluggish. Expensive experiment, though, in which case you may as well go for the Brilliant Vintage you prefer.

I would recommend the pure gut Tricolore varnished which are very stable (better than any other wound gut, really), but if your area's weather is messing up with your Passione, may as well stick with a low tension synthetic.

"On topic", I like edge, "focus", and bite, but find that you don't *necessarily* need the edgiest strings to achieve this. Also, most gut strings have a nice "attack" definition, so even at their warmest, they need not be a muddy mess (indeed, I prefer any gut string over Obligato for these reasons-if I am going synthetic, I prefer a clearer and low tension synthetic.)

(Perpetual might be really good, so I am not trying to blindly counter their possible merits.)

Edited: June 17, 2018, 9:46 PM · I decided to give this string time before I comment on it further. That metallic hissing quality to these strings is still there, and it's been a week something. It's reduced, for sure, from when I first put it on, but it's still here. Just a bit. You can really hear that metallic quality on the youtube video linked above. Perhaps it'll go away fully some day. If not, these strings may not be suitable for recording.

The focused clarity of the strings is there (The Evah's start focused but become more fuzzy over time) Volume's still the same as Evah's.

The E string SOUNDS great. Lots of body. Sufficient volume and clarity. Nice and bright. But the string is STICKY. The platinum coating is making it a bit sticky, and I'm missing my shifts. I'm still a fan of the 27g Goldbrokat Premium Steel string. Just a hair more body than the Perpetual E, and it's slippery enough for playability. Slides and what not. The Goldbrokat tone quality isn't less. More if anything else, and it's only $2.65. (The 26g Goldbrokat has a slightly lean sound, less body)

June 17, 2018, 9:47 PM · how does the price of Perpetuals compare to Evah greens??
June 18, 2018, 3:59 AM · This is the 4th day I have them on and the metallic sound went completely away by day 3. I like the core and the brilliance and intend to keep on using them. My Jacquot needs adjustment with these strings and I'll do it soon. We compared it today at the rehearsal with a Francesco Lazzaretti 1880 violin which previously was on par with the Jacquot, now the Jacquot came out on top by a long shot regarding core and brilliance, also colours. I intend to be using them on the Vuillaume this winter and I'm sure they will be the perfect strings for it. I only hope they last longer than the Evah's. The owner of the Lazzaretti was so sure his violin would win, that he proposed the winner takes both violins. I accepted, but let him off in the end.
Edited: June 18, 2018, 4:39 AM · Lydia, it sounds like the Perpetuals might be "over-the-top" for you. If you wanted to try them without tying up much money, I'd suggest ordering just the G, seeing how that goes, and go from there. Often, I will put on just the G of a brand I want to try, and get enough information from that to decide whether I think the rest of the set is worth trying. With some strings, I've been disappointed enough in the G, that I won't even bother trying the rest of the set, even if they are sitting right there on the bench.

Lyndon, on the couple of websites I checked briefly, the Evah greens were less expensive by 15-20 bucks, but the Evah set had the plain steel E rather than the optional platinum E, so if both had the platinum E's,(standard on the Perpetual), it might be close to a wash.

Edited: June 18, 2018, 6:10 AM · One other thing I've noticed about the Perpetuals:
Perhaps because they have lower internal damping, they seem to resonate the other strings more, and this can produce some weird Tartini-like tones on some notes, at least under my ear. This doesn't bother me personally, but it might some people.
I'm interested in whether others trying these strings have noticed something like that. Could that be what some people have described as a "metallic" sound, and we are just describing it differently?

Or maybe it's all in my mind. LOL

June 18, 2018, 8:41 AM · One of my local shops has a "library" of tester strings, so I'm considering paying a visit to see if they've got Perpetuals yet.

My violin is just behaving very weirdly this summer. Seems to want to produce a tiny metallic noise (a squeak of sorts) at the start of some notes, although apparently this is totally inaudible except under the ear. (Already tried two adjustments from my usual excellent luthier, but as the weather continues to change, so does the sound. I have a dehumidifier in my music room, which my A/C guy says not to turn on yet, but...)

Edited: June 18, 2018, 10:35 AM · Just as a side note, because it can be confusing-the Perpetual standard Platinum E is the same as the "Weich" EP Green Platinum E. Most people seem to have tried the Medium EP Platinum E, which is rather "stark". One should try both gauges, whether EP or Perpetual, to form an opinion, IMHO.

Mr. Burgess above tried the normal Platinum E ("weich" for Evah Pirazzi's standards.) I myself have only tried the "weich" Platinum E and it's good, of the "warm/bright" style of Oliv/Goldplated strings, but with a different tone (I feel it's warmer yet also bright at the topmost register, and may be more powerful without the stridency sometimes ascribed to the Oliv E... yet some in here have found it harsh. Though I wonder if they used the heavy gauge version.)

I am using it in conjuction with Eudoxa, as an experiment on how it affects "warm" strings-a sort of "brilliance enhancement" effect. They definitely are not sounding too dark, so I *surmise* the E is helping the others while still retaining the best of their character. The violin is not sounding dull or fuzzy at all.

(It's also a "non-whistler" in my experience.)

June 18, 2018, 8:31 PM · Lyndon, its $106 full price. Concord Music always has the Perpetual set for 15% off, but you're required to buy the set. Shar just had a flash sale for 25% off, so I stocked up with a few sets, minus E. I don't like the metallic hiss, but I can deal with it. Maybe it's the weather, but I'm having a problem with lots of other strings brands. The D and A strings just died. Hard time creating sound. Perhaps a 40% decrease in volume, even with brand new strings. (happened on Evah gold, Opal Titan, PI, Obligato. went away with perpetual)

David, your ears don't lie. All strings resonate more with Perpetuals. (except the E, because I don't use it). Put on GDA perpetuals, and resonance is HUGE. Sometimes, I like to use a gut A to make up for that weird A sound. I remember decreased resonance with that combo (Perpetual G,D, Passione A, Goldbrokat E.)

Edited: June 19, 2018, 10:43 AM · The Platinum E is good, with a full and brilliant sound-the Goldbrokat emphasizes the brightest frequencies, and it also "helps" gut strings overall, IME. But I feel the EP/Perpetual Platinum E should at least be tried, as it's not as absurdly priced as its "pioneering" competitor from the Pi set (I know many of you love it but that price...)

I do not agree with either brand being so expensive (Infeld Pi, Pirastro Perpetual, and a few others), but I am sure they couldn't care less about what I believe is overpriced, as long as people and a few soloists keep using them.

I cannot recommend Pi Platinum at that price. Their Titanium Solo E is good enough and less expensive, even if pricey. Over $20 something is a stretch. In this regard then, yes, Goldbrokat all the way. Even if money was no concern, the feeling one is getting ripped off (IMHO) with Pi strings, especially the Platinum E, is quite strong.

June 19, 2018, 10:28 AM · I've been pairing the PI ADG with the Pirastro EP platinum E lately, because the EP string is half the price of the PI platinum E. They mix pretty well on my Derazey. I'm looking forward to taking the Perpetual set for a test drive to see how they compare.
June 19, 2018, 11:04 AM · Any comparisons of Perpetual vs. Rondo?
June 19, 2018, 2:14 PM · The bright and slightly metallic touch finally provided me an excuse .. eh .. reason to try a supple bespoke rosin ;)

Great stuff as well.

June 20, 2018, 6:00 PM · LOL. My violin always sounds much better when I'm wearing my "lucky socks". ;-)
June 20, 2018, 8:29 PM · That reads as if you take luxury rosin claims with a grain of salt, David... ?
Edited: June 21, 2018, 6:14 AM · I'm selling rosin infused with unicorn tusk and dragon heartstrings. $500 per cake (because hey, unicorns are rare). Guaranteed to make your violin sound "like a Strad".

Honestly though, it would be nice to hear some longevity information about the Perpetual strings. While I like Evah Greens, they seem to have some longevity and durability issues. Therefore, I play on a set that I feel sounds good but has a more predictable decline over their lifespan.

So what's the verdict? Will they last perpetually -- or at least longer than Evahs? Or would I be perpetually replacing strings?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases