Does anybody know the name of this piece?

May 25, 2018, 2:01 PM · Hey!
I found a youtube video of a certain piece last month and the melody hasn't been going out of my head ever since. Unfortunately I can't find any clue to its name or the composer. Now I am coming to you with my last bit of hope and kindly ask you to listen to the clip.

The piece I am referring to, starts at 11:46 in this youtube video: "https://youtu.be/VkzKzzIz9gQ".

Please help me out!
Sincerely,
Moritz

Replies (11)

May 25, 2018, 4:33 PM · I posted a comment asking what the piece was on the video. Never heard it, but it is beautiful.
Hope someone has the answer!
May 25, 2018, 6:56 PM · The video gives you the clues you need. The piece is "Variations on the Last Rose of Summer" (it's right there in the title of the video...) and a little research (googling the title) gave me the name of Heinrich Wilhelm Ernst... Here's another performance... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3yHTvGqcU0 ...and you can download a copy of the music... http://imslp.org/wiki/The_Last_Rose_of_Summer_(Ernst%2C_Heinrich_Wilhelm)
May 25, 2018, 7:06 PM · The piece at 11:46 is not Ernst Variations.
May 25, 2018, 8:43 PM · Again, the video names it: La Ronde des Lutins - or Dance of the Goblins. It's by Bazzini. Perlman has quipped that he didn't know what else Bazzini composed but it hardly seemed to matter as he evidently used up all his allotted notes on that one piece!
Edited: May 26, 2018, 1:01 AM · Nah, it's a waltz, or waltz-like piece! I had both those wrong answers at first: in fact 11:46 is the piece after La Ronde des Lutins, the violinist is not Vengerov and has a distinctive sound and rapid vibrato and perhaps slightly slushy style which suits this light and pleasing melody.

Not sure who the violinist is, and I went to compare recordings of the younger Nadien, but it's not him.

Has anyone asked the uploader of the video?

May 26, 2018, 1:52 AM · The violinist from 11:46 on is Vladimir Spivakov, but I don't know the piece (after that he plays Fiddle Faddle by Leroy Anderson).
May 26, 2018, 2:18 AM · It is "Wien, du Stadt meiner Träume" (Vienna, City of My Dreams) by Rudolf Sieczynski.
Edited: May 26, 2018, 5:52 AM · Aha thanks! I do like a spot of schrammel music.

So, by the way, did the greatest--not the most famous, just the most musically gifted--pianist of the 20th century (and teacher of Martha Agerich), whom Google tells me was the musical director of film "Wien, du Stadt meiner Träume".

There is a copy of the piece arranged for flute on IMSLP.

Also thanks to Katarina for identifying the violinist and the second piece!

May 26, 2018, 3:27 AM · Thank you so much Eric and Katarina!
Have a nice day!
Edited: May 26, 2018, 5:01 AM · Oh yes! Apparently goblins hijacked my system last night! ;-)

And at the end, I believe is "Fiddle Faddle" by Leroy Anderson - played at a breakneck tempo!.

Edited: May 26, 2018, 6:13 AM · That was indeed a tricky one to track down! It sounded to me like a Viennese waltz, but I'm not all that familiar with that genre, apart from a few Strauss waltzes, and couldn't progress further.

Edit added: I'm a little surprised that YouTube didn't list the pieces; I thought that was their practice, if only for copyright purposes.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases