"Hidden Gem" professors at schools?

June 8, 2017, 3:06 PM · Does anyone know or can recommend any "hidden gem" violin professors. Hidden gem meaning that they might not be the most prominent or well known teachers or there, but are really amazing teachers, but possibly might not have the recognition due to the school they might each at. I ask this because while it would be amazing to study with people like Paul Kantor or Donald Weilerstein, I realize that I must be realistic in my search for a teacher, as they are in high demand, and I may not meet their expectations. Sorry if this seems specific, let me know if I need to clarify anything!! Thanks!

Replies (3)

June 8, 2017, 3:17 PM · There are fantastic teachers everywhere, but you have to find the teacher that's the right fit for you. That will depend on your strengths and weaknesses, your learning style and personality (and thus questions like "do you mind if your teacher levels harsh criticism as long as it's fair?" and "do you need your teacher to push you or are you highly self-motivated?"), how much time you expect to spend with your teacher vs. any assistants (really important if your teacher travels to perform and whatnot), your playing level, your professional goals, and the like.
June 8, 2017, 7:56 PM · There are also often really good teachers in the same town as your university but they're not affiliated.
Edited: June 8, 2017, 9:24 PM · Amy Schwartz Moretti!
http://www.amyschwartzmoretti.com/Amy_Moretti/Biography.html

I know her personally. She is a student of Donald Weilerstein. She is musical, meticulous and an amazing musician. She started the music school for strings where she is currently heading just 10 years ago, so not too many are aware of her and the school yet.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Brian Lisus Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins