Looking for a new violin teacher in Toronto. Help!

May 21, 2018, 1:48 PM · I am an ex-high school violinist who wants to get back into playing as a hobby.

I play at an advanced level (somewhere between RCM grade 7/8) and last studied in 2015.

Does anyone have suggestions on violinists taking adult students? I know of one who was recommended to me ages ago but his studio might be full. (Please - no 'music school' pitches)

My budget is $70-100/lesson weekly and I work out of Toronto.

Replies (7)

May 21, 2018, 2:56 PM · Are you still in the same city as you were in 2015? If so, I'd call your previous teacher and ask for recommendations.
May 21, 2018, 3:14 PM · That sounds like a great idea, Lydia! She's very well connected so I'm sure she'll recommend someone nice.
May 21, 2018, 4:05 PM · What's wrong with music schools? The community type should be totally fine.
May 21, 2018, 4:42 PM · Ella, music schools have their own merit but I'd prefer a private studio setting.
May 21, 2018, 4:42 PM · Ella, music schools have their own merit but I'd prefer a private studio setting.
Edited: May 22, 2018, 8:37 AM · Christine, If you live close to Midtown, check out Carol Gimbel. Her studio is at the Wychwood barns. (you can get organic produce at the market after your class!)
My friend has been taking viola classes with her and is very happy.
If you are into period performance, some members of Tafelmusik provide private lessons - not sure if withing your price range... but possible.
hth
May 22, 2018, 8:37 AM · That sound Great . You will go at the top of your world

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases