Preparing for a quasi diploma concert

May 17, 2018, 10:49 AM · Hi All,

As stated in the title, I am currently preparing for a quasi-diploma concert that will happen in three weeks as I graduate from my music school(the Hungarian equivalent of a conservatory prepschool). The repertoire is as follows(not in order):

Bach Partita No.3 in E-major for solo violin; Guige and Gavotte Or Sonata No.1's Adagio and Presto (not yet determined)
Bach Concerto for Two Violins in D minor, the second movement
Mozart Violin Concerto No.4,1st movement with Joachim's cadenza
Beethoven Romanze in F major
Praeludium and Allegro by Kreisler
Shostakovich's Five pieces for two violins and piano
Some Bartok violin duets with my teacher

Approx. an hour worth of material

I know every single piece except for the duets by heart but some I have never performed in public before(Mozart's concerto and the Bachs Sonata and Partita). And more importantly, I have never performed this large a number of pieces in a single concert before, so putting this together is quite challenging for me. Any practice and/or general tips regarding preparing a large number of pieces would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Replies (4)

Edited: May 17, 2018, 11:10 AM · That's an ambitious program. My first thought, honestly, is to go for the easier Bach, and the E major movements you've listed are much easier than the G minor.

With only three weeks you're not learning anything, only polishing. Make sure you run through your whole program twice through a few times just to prove that you will have the energy left at the very end of the *second* run-through to test your stamina. If you don't, then consider shaving off some material. For example the Bach Double Second Movement is sublime music, but also very long and requires concentration to play well. And isn't this a solo recital? A little bit of duet music with your teacher is quaint but you've got a lot of it there. I'd dump the Bach Double.

Also make sure you have good rehearsals with your accompanist so that you can both be comfortable with the ensemble.

May 17, 2018, 11:16 AM · Thank you Paul, I'll keep your advice in mind!
May 17, 2018, 11:53 AM · Run through the whole program three times in row. You will discover what fatigue (physical and mental) does to you, and it will identify spots that you need to pay attention to.

Also, if you have the practice time available, I'd consider doing the whole program once a day. Among other things, it may suggest a change in concert order to optimize energy.

May 17, 2018, 1:37 PM · Also, have a camera on you while you play through, which will somewhat replicate the feeling of being watched. It will also allow for a more objective analysis later.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases