Kreutzer #33

Edited: June 8, 2017, 7:45 AM · kreutzer etude #33

I am working on this etude which is mostly double stops in thirds. While I can manage playing them in separate bows, playing double stops in slurs is a bit challenging for me. I tend to stop between notes and the whole thing lacks any singing quality. Any advance?

Replies (7)

June 8, 2017, 10:31 AM · How's your tension situation? I find playing legato double stops requires extreme relaxation, which for me is something I've only recently achieved while working on several double stop challenges including the one you mentioned.

Do you have any music that has short sections like this? That might help to practice in parallel with the etude. Leclair's D Major Sonata has some passages with double stops in third in the first movement that are very singing and beautiful, maybe learning the sonata would help you to develop your technique to be more musical?

Here's Szerying playing the sonata:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlrwA5_SKWE

June 8, 2017, 11:17 AM · If you have not done 36 do that one first.
June 8, 2017, 12:21 PM · Slur 2 double stops at first, master that. Then move on to slurring 3 double stops, etc. Bow control and distribution of bow pressure are, I believe, the main concerns in slurring double stops.
Edited: June 8, 2017, 1:56 PM · It may not be all that different, but maybe in your scale work in thirds, after playing the first time in separate bows, try again slurring two notes; maybe not so much faster, but you can work it up.

Of course, that doesn't answer what the technical problem may be. I find that my thirds come out much more fluidly the more relaxed I am in the left hand. Perhaps you might try experimenting with just how lightly you can press the fingers of your left hand. You can also just practice the transition on one bow of going from 1/3 to 2/4, and you can practice the shift transition from 2/4 to 1/3, and aim to keep drawing your bow smoothly. And for shifts, make sure you slide and don't jump. Practice so that you can hear the entire transition.

Also, if you never did Dont op. 37, there are some pretty challenging double-stop etudes at the end of that book, but you may find them a little superfluous, or you may find them useful.

June 8, 2017, 4:57 PM · Dont op. 37 is awesome, and several of those are much harder than Kreutzer=)
June 8, 2017, 7:29 PM · I don't think harder is called for here. I agree with Christian that slurring two thirds at a time as part of scale practice is a good approach.
June 9, 2017, 8:44 AM · Thanks! Everyone.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance