Hoffmeister or Stamitz?

May 15, 2018, 6:48 AM · Which viola concerto would you say is better to play in an audition? :)

Replies (7)

May 15, 2018, 7:31 AM · If it is a choice between two pieces that are on more or less the same technical level I'd choose the one that inspires me the most.
May 15, 2018, 9:03 AM · Hoffmeister
May 15, 2018, 9:25 AM · If you can't nail those octaves in Stamitz at the audition, then perhaps...
May 15, 2018, 10:42 AM · I think the Hoffmeister is (even) "better" music.
May 16, 2018, 5:48 AM · Curious as to people's reasoning. Anybody want to elaborate the why as to which one?
May 16, 2018, 2:16 PM · Record yourself for the first page of Stamitz. If you like what you hear, choose it and pick a cadenza full of fireworks. Otherwise Hoffmeister.
Edited: May 19, 2018, 1:36 PM · Laura, my own intuition finds that Stamitz is like Mozart with 5 volumes of added water, but Hoffmeister only 3 volumes. To "prove" my point would take a detailed analysis some of their compositions; possible, but time-consuming.. Both of them wrote attractive classical concertos.

I also find Hoffmeister's viola studies are "good" music, as are the violin studies of Spohr, Kreutzer, and Gavini├Ęs, but less so those of Wolfhart, or (dare I say it) Dont.

My criteria are mainly harmonic: arpeggios with a sense of direction, with meaningful modulations and cadences; and melodic motifs that at least ressemble those of masterworks.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases