I play bad when I play in my bedroom

Edited: May 15, 2018, 6:10 AM · The sound of my violin in my bedroom is so bad it sounds dead but when I play in my bathroom I play so much better I control my bow perfectly and I feel more motivated and the violin sounds good but I cant be in the bathroom all the day, what can I do, only practice in the bathroom? When I play in my bedroom I get fustrated I cant control my bow and I dont like to play the violin

Replies (15)

May 15, 2018, 6:37 AM · Playing in a dry acoustic like a bedroom can be good because it shows up everything and it means you can really focus on your technique. Although bathrooms or other echoey acoustics can make you sound amazing, they don't show up the technical flaws in your playing - practice rooms are often horrible acoustics so that it's easier to hear what needs improving
Edited: May 15, 2018, 7:25 AM · Hahahaha, that's pretty much because your violin doesn't like your bed. You can trick your violin by changing the bed sheets.

No, really, I know it feels amazing to play inside an echo room, but for obvious reasons, it fakes your ability by hiding all the defects and things you do wrong, also making your sound very big and fine, while in reality you still can't make the violin sound like that.

Practice rooms are exactly the opposite of "horrible acoustics rooms". Echo is undesired acoustically, practice rooms are supposed to be acoustically prepared, that means "dry", so you can hear any sound as it really is.

By the way, your technique does NOT change depending on the room you are playing. If you can control your bow, you do it in your bed room, stadium or bathroom. It could happen that in a dry room you realize how your technique really is, and you may get frustrated and play worse because of your inner anger.

May 15, 2018, 7:29 AM · This cellist has a series of videos he calls "Bach in the Bathroom", where he plays Bach in the men's room of various well known performance halls.

May 15, 2018, 7:44 AM · Practice in your bedroom. The bedroom is showing you how you actually sound. The bathroom is masking your flaws, the same way that everyone thinks they sound amazing when they sing in the shower.
May 15, 2018, 8:16 AM · If you think practicing in your bedroom is bad, try having to warm up in a very dry hotel room just before you have an audition.

Talk about demoralizing...."I used to be able to play the violin--what happened? I'm sooo dead meat!"

May 15, 2018, 8:27 AM · If you do practice in the bathroom, I suggest Kayser Op. 20 No. 8. See if you can figure out why.
May 15, 2018, 9:42 AM · No. 8?

Usually, when I'm in the bathroom it's no.1 or no. 2...

May 15, 2018, 10:19 AM · That's funny, Paul!
Edited: May 15, 2018, 10:21 AM · If you can't give your best performance (especially of romantic music) in your bedroom, you've got a problem.

However, the bathroom is probably the best place to play Handel (especially the water music). But don't flip your lid over it.

(I think I'm on a roll).

:)
Sandy

Edited: May 22, 2018, 3:10 PM · "By the way, your technique does NOT change depending on the room you are playing."

Not so sure! If I practice in the bedroom, I will sound so much better in the bathroom; the opposite is not true, since the reverberation will mask my developing faults.

May 15, 2018, 1:22 PM · On a related topic: Some here already know that I have used foam earplugs, L/R, for many years whenever practicing or playing. The ones I currently use have a dB factor of -33.

One additional advantage of the plugs, besides ear protection, is that the room acoustics don't matter as much to me as they would without plugs. I play evening sessions in the garage up to 8 months a year -- it's warm enough here for this. For the remaining 4 months, I move indoors to the living room. In the garage, I'm aware of the reverb, but I don't get the full effect of it, due to the plugs. So the reverb doesn't interfere with clarity -- I can distinguish every note, even in rapid passages.

In the living room, where the reverb is noticeably less, the comparative acoustical dryness doesn't bother me. And I don't get the annoying bow-hair hiss. With this setup, my own playing sounds, to me, more like it would sound to an audience maybe 10-20 feet away.

If you're not already using some kind of ear protection, I strongly recommend it. You will likely realize the practice benefits I described above -- plus the shield for your ears.

May 15, 2018, 2:14 PM · That bathroom cellist stole my idea!! (Although mine was the bathroom quartet)
May 15, 2018, 3:22 PM · Commodo...
May 22, 2018, 2:56 PM · Your bedroom floor is carpet? Carpet floor will make sounds down, the title or wood floor will make louder and bright sounds.
May 23, 2018, 8:40 AM · I play in all sorts of rooms. Even in a closet once. Sounded muffled

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases