PYO Audition question

Edited: May 14, 2018, 10:11 AM · On the PYO website, it says for the audition requirements that string players have to do ' scales in three octaves, détaché, at various tempi and in ALL major and minor keys." Do they really want to hear all the major and minor scales played, or are they saying that you could be tested on any of them?

Replies (7)

May 14, 2018, 10:07 AM · lol I seriously doubt they would have time to listen to every single major and minor scale.
May 14, 2018, 10:17 AM · For most youth orchestras, audition requirements are stated as such because it is a reasonable expectation that students who wish to earn a position in the ensemble must be able to meet those expectations. At an actual youth orchestra audition, you'll likely be asked to play one of them.

For my own youth orchestra, I eliminated the scale requirement from the top Symphony ensemble, as the excerpts were sufficient to determine player ability. Saves us a lot of time too!

May 14, 2018, 10:19 AM · Yeah, I'd be ready to play one major and one melodic minor.
May 14, 2018, 1:33 PM · they'll ask for a couple. Practice by getting your friends to ask you for whatever scales they feel like at whatever tempo indication they feel like. "C-sharp minor presto!" "A-flat major slowly!" etc etc
May 14, 2018, 11:14 PM · It dosen't hurt to email and inquire more specifically what may be demanded of you. Sometimes the requirements are ambiguous and need more clarity. You could ask if you are allowed to prepare a few scales better rather than all of them.

Its almost like in pro orchestra auditions saying they may have sight reading, but in the usa it hasn't ever been utilized in recent years.

Edited: May 15, 2018, 9:25 AM · I was considering auditioning for a local orchestra and frankly a little crestfallen when I saw they don't ask for sight-reading. That's probably my best skill.

I agree with Thomas Yee that asking for clarification is a good thing. When people write something, they might have no idea whether it's really genuinely clear to the masses, and generally they are grateful to learn when it's not.

May 15, 2018, 10:33 AM · I am 99.99% positive that they expect the student to be *prepared* to play any of the scales, but they will only ask for one. Most likely it won't be the easiest (G Major) or the hardest (F# Major) but something in between.

Gene, I like to hear a scale at the beginning of a student's youth orchestra audition, even at the highest level, because it gives me an idea of the student's care for basic intonation and sound outside of a phrase, and because it is a nice warmup for the student.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases