How to improve finger positions

May 12, 2018, 11:55 AM · I know when I play out of tune because sounds bad to me and when I play the violin and I change positions I have mistakes every time and I want tips for improve this, I know that I need to practice :)

Replies (7)

May 12, 2018, 12:21 PM · Just play every day, you'll definitely get better. Your fingers develop good memories so eventually you hit the right notes on sight without conscious thought. You'll also grow neural connections that link your fingers and ears so well that even if your violin is mildly out of tune on open strings your ears will quickly guide your fingers to adjust and still play in tune. Just keep playing!
Edited: May 12, 2018, 12:40 PM · There are lots of threads on this site and resources elsewhere on the internet that discuss how to improve intonation and shifting accuracy.
Edited: May 12, 2018, 1:21 PM · It's not quite as simple as "just keep playing." You need a strategy and method to improve intonation. It's a long and concentrated process, and very hard work, and it's easy to give up. It's all to do with building a left hand and bowing technique. Yes, you need both.

You haven't given any details of your level of playing, how long you have been playing, or what your ambitions are, and nothing in your bio on here tells us anything. So really we can't help unless you give a lot more details.

May 12, 2018, 6:25 PM · So - you're bad and you don't practice. That's not the greatest combination.

It's hard to give any advice with a post so vague.

May 22, 2018, 5:40 PM · My suggestion is to practice some shifting only every day through Sevcik Op. 8 and Yost Exercises for change of positions. Also, make sure you approach shifting in different ways, and know what your shifting finger is. Shifts should be light and smooth, but with a deep strong bow. I've done a tutorial series for my students that you can check out in case it's helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPNoHOctP6o&list=PLcsxEkYPwGvzP05DKO2tgrXRAADeeM6G2
Happy Practicing!
May 22, 2018, 5:40 PM · My suggestion is to practice some shifting only every day through Sevcik Op. 8 and Yost Exercises for change of positions. Also, make sure you approach shifting in different ways, and know what your shifting finger is. Shifts should be light and smooth, but with a deep strong bow. I've done a tutorial series for my students that you can check out in case it's helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPNoHOctP6o&list=PLcsxEkYPwGvzP05DKO2tgrXRAADeeM6G2
Happy Practicing!
May 23, 2018, 7:43 AM · Norman,
Do what Susanna Klein says. That book is to learn to start on any finger, end on any finger, shift any reasonable amount and have it all sound good.

I am guessing, but I suspect you also need a teacher.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases