Any piece suggestions?

May 8, 2018, 4:20 PM · Hello all, I'm an intermediate student who have not practised the violin in a couple of months, and since I got bored of my previous pieces, I'd like to hear something new. Any suggestions(any)?
P.S., is it just me who never gets satisfied with your own skills no matter how well you play, there will always be errors, lots of them.

Replies (11)

May 8, 2018, 5:50 PM · What were your previous pieces?
May 8, 2018, 6:00 PM · Mendelssohn E minor or something...I think.
Edited: May 8, 2018, 6:09 PM · Do you currently have a teacher, or plan to get one anytime soon? Some posibilities:
Danse Espagnole (de Falla)
Wieniawski Legende
Chausson Poeme
Bruch concertos 2 and 3, Scottish Fantasy
Anything by Sarasate or Saint-Saens
Brahms, Grieg, Hindemith, Schubert, Beethoven and Mozart sonatas
Any Bach unaccompanied (maybe except Chaconne)
You can find it all on IMSLP.
Edited: May 8, 2018, 9:44 PM · Did I just read properly that you cannot remember if you played the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto or not?
May 8, 2018, 7:02 PM · @Ryan Smith I meant I think that is the name, sorry I wasnt clear
May 8, 2018, 7:41 PM · I hear the sounds of readers facepalming, hundreds of miles away...

If you actually played the Mendelssohn, you are an advanced, not an intermediate student, but I have trouble imagining a student at that level not being able to remember what they've played recently.

Trolling?

May 8, 2018, 7:44 PM · Not sure what your level is, but I would suggest Bruch Concerto, Saint Seans Concerto no. 3 in B minor, or Lalo symphony Espagnole, for concertos.
For fun show pieces you could try Sarasate’s Introduction and Tarentella, or Weiniawski Tarentelle.
For Bach, you can try from Sonata 1 Adagio, fuga (which are slightly harder) or presto. From Partita 2, you can try Allemanda, sarabanda, or giga. From Partita 3, try Preludio, or Gavotte en Rondeau(easier).
May 8, 2018, 8:20 PM · No Lydia, there is no point in me doing that, but I do have a bad memory.
Edited: May 9, 2018, 4:26 AM · I agree with Lydia. "Hmmm ... I think I was working on the Mendelssohn VC long enough to get bored with it but I don't remember what it was" seems incomprehensible. That's like forgetting your own phone number.

I strongly suspect the reason you got bored with your previous pieces is because they were too hard for you and you maxed out on them at a stage well below the performance level. Try taking a couple of steps back and work on shoring up your fundamentals. For example try a Bach concerto or Haydn C Major.

If you are having memory issues my suggestion based on personal experience is that you stop playing video games or internet one-minute chess or whatever "diversion" is rewiring your synapses for immediate rather than longer-term processing. And no more weed, okay?

May 9, 2018, 4:45 AM · Hmmm...your memory can't be too bad if you remembered how to spell "Mendelssohn".
May 9, 2018, 4:52 AM · Find people to play with and play some chamber music. The late Mozart quartets and quintets are difficult to get bored with in my opinion.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases