Gut strings need higher bridge?

May 8, 2018, 3:23 PM · I have a synthetic G and a plain gut D on at the moment, but everything on the D string seems to play flat, especially once I'm above 5th position and playing a double stop with the G string. I noticed that the string is extremely thick, so maybe it doesn't require as much distance to reach the fingerboard? I don't know... maybe the bridge needs to be higher? If anyone has experienced this problem, please let me know what I should do!

Replies (4)

May 9, 2018, 12:29 AM · I have never tried mixing gut and synthetic strings, but my first viola D & A were plain gut. The way stiffness affects the fundamental note and its overtones is not proportional, and I bought a wound D as soon as I could afford it..
Edited: May 9, 2018, 5:03 AM · If you move all of the strings higher, then you will be keeping the same relationship. Lifting only the D string would help, but simultaneously make the A impossible to plat. What I might try in this instance is to make the nut higher under only that string. Unfortunately, this will mainly affect lower positions, but it might help a bit on the higher ones. The guitar solution to this would be to put a zig-zag in the bridge to bring the contact point of that string forward, but this would be difficult on a violin, especially to make it sufficient to solve the problem.

Maybe you should consider this to be a symptom of an unbalanced string set, and think in terms of getting a G string that's a better match?

May 9, 2018, 5:55 AM · Isn't it rather that in baroque violins the bridge was lower (and the strings plain gut), and the need of a higher bridge being a result of the changed neck angle and use of (steel and synthetic) strings with higher tension?
May 9, 2018, 1:41 PM · My luthier had to cut me new bridge in retrofitting my violin for gut strings with a semi-baroque setup with a baroque tail piece.

Yeah...don't know what's a good solution for your mixing-and-matching...hopefully a knowledge luthier here can jump in here for a good answer.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases