"Should be" essential violin pieces

May 1, 2018, 5:26 PM · What are some great violin pieces that deserve more attention? I'm looking for stuff to put on my bucket list for the future...

Replies (9)

May 1, 2018, 11:08 PM · "Le Boeuf sur le toit" by Milhaud
Edited: May 1, 2018, 11:29 PM · Roland Herrera of Westbury Park Strings has compiled a comprehensive repertoire list upt to abrsm grade 8. His old website, a real treasure trove, has been down for a while, but the list is accessible at his new website (with essential repertoire marked as "key pieces"). Lots of great stuff there!

http://bristolviolinteacher.moonfruit.com/repertoire-list/4592633228

May 2, 2018, 8:18 AM · Spohr Concerti (#8 has been almost forgotten, and it still is a great work.)
Sinding Suite as a Concert work.
Bruch Scottish Fantasy as a Concert work
Vieuxtemps in general (#4 to start-he has other works as well.)
Paganini in general (there's more than the Caprices, #1, and Kreisler's version of La Campanella.)
Wieniawski-Treasure Trove of "should be" works (mamy of the lesser played ones are wonderful.)
Strauss Concerto
Goldmark Concerto
Viotti #22 as a Concert piece
Mozart shorter works and some sonatas
Shostakovich 10 Preludes, arr. Tsyganov
Prokofiev 5 Melodies

Too many more-the above follows no logical order of any sort.

Some of that is sometimes recorded and performed, some others virtually gone even as "student works". Even Lalo's SE is "nowadays" a "student work".

(That said, there are some that I mentioned that are not "essential" per se, but good to learn, given the time.)

May 2, 2018, 4:57 PM · Several of the concertos by the Chevalier de St.-Georges should be heard more often -- they're up there with Mozart.

Other underrated concert pieces: the Hamilton Harty concerto, and Alexander Campbell Mackenzie's Pibroch Suite for violin and orchestra.

For recitals, I think Amanda Maier's violin sonata deserves to be standard repertoire. (Especially if you like Brahms, because the style is similar. Maier composed this while Brahms was working on his third violin sonata; the two composers sent each other drafts for feedback, and each made changes suggested by the other.)

Edited: May 2, 2018, 5:00 PM · I think DeBeriot #7 is very overlooked as a student work.

It's fantastic for double stop practice, and it's kind of a fun little piece.

May 2, 2018, 7:54 PM · Andrew how hard is that Maier sonata?

As for "student" concertos my vote goes to Spohr No. 2. It has the right amount of technical challenge and thematic banality.

May 3, 2018, 12:58 AM · I've never played it. I switched to viola when I was still a beginner and never played violin regularly again. I would assume it's similar to the Brahms sonatas. It's on IMSLP and there are recordings on YouTube.
May 5, 2018, 12:56 PM · Scales and Arpeggios ... seems to be ignored quite frequently.
May 5, 2018, 1:35 PM · Vivaldi La tempesta di Mare concerto

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia