College Application Repertoire?

May 1, 2018, 1:14 PM · Hey guys, I'm a junior in high school and I'm looking to pursue violin performance for college, currently I'm preparing the 1st movement of the Saint Saens concerto and the Paganini Caprice No. 17, both I don't have significant problems with; However, I really need to start preparing the two Bach movements required, my teacher wants me to start with the Allemande of the D minor partita, but that seems way to easy for the application, I would talk to my teacher about this as well but what pieces would you guys recommend that I can prepare in around 6 months? Thanks!

Replies (6)

Edited: May 1, 2018, 2:18 PM · For my audition, I did Bach Sarabande and Gigue from the D minor Partita. What's good about these two is that they are attacca so it makes sense performing them together. The Sarabande is excellent at showing bow control - although it really was not enjoyable to perform it while I was getting some awful bow shakes from how nervous I was! The Gigue is ok as long as you really prepare it, although performing it from memory was pretty stressful. Still aside from this, I think it impressed them and I managed to get a place (with a scholarship :D:D)

Also with what you said about the Allemande, although it may look easy on paper, making it sound interesting and musical is the hard part. I think it's like all Bach really, it's easy to play it like a study with no musicality at all, but what is reaalllyyy hard is playing it and making it sound interesting - and if you do that I'm sure they will be very impressed :)

Oh, also another thing about difficulty - If you're doing a Paganini Caprice they should have no doubts about your technical ability!

May 1, 2018, 3:01 PM · I'd concur with the above. If you want to play something a bit more technically showy, you could consider some of the later movements from the B minor Partita, which is definitely underplayed. The Tempo di Borea is especially fiddly to voice and keep elegant, but in 6 months you should have plenty of time to polish it.
May 1, 2018, 3:30 PM · Does your teacher want you to do the D minor Allemande because it's sufficiently easy for you that you can concentrate on the rest of your audition rep that might need more work, or is there some other aspect of your playing that they feel this will be a good demonstration of?

I think you should talk to your teacher about their intended goal for the Bach selections are. Does your teacher routinely prepare students for conservatory auditions, and how well do other students in the studio typically fare for acceptances?

May 1, 2018, 3:39 PM · G minor Adagio and Fuga?

Which solo Bach have you played already?

May 2, 2018, 5:08 PM · If you can manage the G minor adagio and fugue that's definitely the way to go in my opinion.

That'll show everything a committee needs to hear.

Just remember - the adagio is NOT an improvisation. It must be learned with strict rhythm in mind before any liberties can be taken.

May 3, 2018, 10:37 AM · Ditto on talking with your teacher. While your'e abilities are not known to us, your teacher knows your playing ability, limits, and what you can perform well.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases