Ave Maria (Caccini/Vavilov) on Violin and Viola!

April 29, 2018, 1:49 PM ·

Hello again everyone! I've just finished my second recording! This time I am playing Caccini/Vavilov's Ave Maria on both violin and viola - I would love it if you could listen to it and tell me what you think :)

Replies (2)

April 29, 2018, 3:44 PM · Very musical and nice. I don't even know if you're looking for critique or not, but the main thing I'd change is that you're using a slow vibrato on rather high pitched notes. This could just be my preference, but I think it would be preferable to use a narrow and fast vibrato, proportionate to the pitch of the notes.

Regarding the vibrato technique itself, I feel that your left hand is softening too much in response to the softness of the bow, and it's yielding a somewhat raspier tone. My opinion would be that the finger should still be fully blocking the string, even when playing pp with the bow.

Are you using exclusively arm-actuated vibrato here?

But like I said before, very musical and nice... I just tend to look at music as what can be improved, rather than appreciating it as what it is. So hopefully I'm not ruining your perception of your playing.

Edited: April 30, 2018, 2:21 PM · Thanks Erik :) I always appreciate feedback! I actually intended to achieve a sort of raspy effect, as I wanted to try and emulate the characteristics of a voice up high and to make the piece as a whole feel more tearful and pain stricken. And yes, my vibrato is always arm-actuated ;) I'd love it if you listened to my version of "the swan" as well, I really appreciate hearing people's thoughts on my recordings :)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases