Gift for violin teacher? (Part 2)

April 28, 2018, 12:21 PM · Quite some time ago, I posted a question to discuss what to give to my violin teacher as a parting gift.(http://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=1295)
And I have, due to my condemnable carelessness, procrastinated from updating the thread, which is incidentally why I am writing now...

Since then, I have read through all the replies, and have decided that it would be best to write a handwritten letter along with a leather-bound score.

Now, the question is what score to buy for her. I have considered buying a Baerenreiter edition of Bach's Partitas and Sonatas, but my teacher, a professional baroque violinist, probably has her own. Any advice regarding what score and what edition to give?

Replies (11)

April 28, 2018, 12:32 PM · Stick to the letter.
Edited: April 28, 2018, 12:38 PM · Letter and gift card.

If one of my students were to give me a leather bound score, I would appreciate the effort and expense but it would honestly be one more piece of clutter that I would feel emotionally bound to hold onto. I certainly wouldn’t use it, nor would it be something I would have room to display.

April 28, 2018, 12:58 PM · Yeah, I feel terrible when I have to throw something out that I'm never going to use because a student wanted to get me a violin-related gift. Letters are the best because they are more valuable than anything a student could buy me, I don't have to feel nitpicky about them like I would about rosin or music, and they also pack easily away.

If you get her Baerenreiter or anything like it, she'd have to re-write all her markings onto the new edition you got her, which would just be a huge pain.

April 28, 2018, 1:11 PM · Thank you for the reply, it seems like that a leather-bound score isn't favorable. But what about a normal score then? I really want to give something practical, but something that isn't too "day-to-day."

I quite like the idea of a gift card, but the problem is that gift cards are nowhere near as abundant in Hungary as it is in the US; very few, if any, restaurants use it here. Not to mention that it seems like a monetary gift, which is generally frowned upon in this part of the world.

April 28, 2018, 1:21 PM · Definitely, letter. If you feel like you have to include something else,is there a store you guys buy strings / music from? See if you can get a gift card from there.

If you really don't feel comfortable with gift cards, I'd go with something like letter + fancy dessert from a good bakery.

April 28, 2018, 1:35 PM · Regional circumstances must be considered. You might consider a rare Baroque work instead of something popular. If I were to receive the score to a piece that I've never heard of as a gift, I would personally be extremely happy to look into it because I love new and unusual music. Not everyone's that way, though. Some people just love exploring new music.
Edited: April 28, 2018, 1:45 PM · Handwritten letter and a gift card. For a professional baroque violinist, I would think a nice massage session will always be welcome treat given the amount fast repetitive motions of regular baroque musician has to make. To find the right music, you need to do some serious research. Chocolate or sweet stuff are nice, but nothing special and not terribly healthy. Many professional musicians are suffering aches and pains and have to brush them off as something "comes with the territory" because they have no other choice. Your teacher may be an exception but still, I think some true love a student can offer to their violin teacher is giving something that is going to make their professional life a little easier.
April 28, 2018, 2:29 PM · If a gift card is not culturally acceptable, then either the handwritten letter alone, or accompanied by some sort of treat (bakery or homemade). My kids still talk about the amazingly good homemade egg rolls that the mother of one of my students brought me three years ago.
May 1, 2018, 6:07 PM · Maybe a copy of the facsimile of the Sonatas & Partitas by J.S.Bach, like this one
http://hz.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/2/25/IMSLP150643-PMLP04292-BWV_1001_-_1006_(D_B_Mus._ms._Bach_P_967).pdf

But you can get it printed as a book, I only know how to find it in Germany, otherwise I'd give you a link. Some violinists already have that too though ;)

May 2, 2018, 4:27 AM · two words:

Lagavulin sixteen

Maybe even bring a couple of glasses to the last lesson, too...

Edited: May 2, 2018, 1:35 PM · Notwithstanding the compelling appeal of egg rolls or single-malt whisky, if you simply must give something physical and permanent, a tasteful hand-made picture frame makes a lovely and quite universal gift. These are often sold at street fairs and summer festivals. The key is leaving it empty. They work very well for showers and weddings especially.

In my circle of friends, poker night is fueled by single-malt whisky. By tradition it's BYOB, everything gets shared around, and you take home what's left of what you brought. Nobody's getting fractured, so it's not like we're going through gallons of booze. One day I decided to have poker night at my house and my wife told all my pals that it was my 50th birthday. They all brought new bottles and I kept the leftovers. That was a very fine evening indeed.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases