Getting a Baroque Bow Rehaired?

April 27, 2018, 8:02 AM · I recently purchased a Baroque violin bow for use with my modern-style violin. I purchased it fairly cheaply from Amazon, but I'd read some discussion on these forums about it and read some quite positive things about it. But it was also mentioned that it would benefit from an immediate rehairing, so I'd like to go ahead and get that done. My only concern is, can anyone that rehairs modern bows rehair Baroque bows, or do they need to have any special expertise? Should I call around and ask about this in particular, or just bring it to any violin shop in my area? I'm in Fort Worth, Texas, by the way.

I'd like to get this done soon, as I'm planning on pulling the trigger on a Lu-Mi Baroque violin from Lazar's Early Music, and I'd like my bow to be at its best before testing out a new instrument with it.

This is the bow, if anyone's interested: https://www.amazon.com/Vio-Music-Baroque-Beautiful-Snakewood/dp/B00A7TYA32/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1459486135&sr=8-2&keywords=baroque+bow

Replies (2)

April 27, 2018, 8:40 AM · Your luthier may complain that they've glued the wedge in. That's extra work for him/her. Other wise any good craftsman should do. You'll need to say how much hair you want.
April 27, 2018, 4:17 PM · Do you know how to apply rosin to new hair, you may not have put enough rosin, you need to score the rosin with a sharp knife to apply rosin to new hair.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases