Larsen Virtuoso Strings

Edited: April 28, 2018, 8:24 AM · Hello!

Does anyone have an updated review of the larsen virtuousos? I have PI’s on right now but seem to be too high tension for my instrument. How do they compare with Dominants? If anyone has any experience with the virtuousos comment!

Replies (7)

Edited: April 27, 2018, 3:34 AM · I am also curious about these strings. I have watched the excellent video-review of Simon Streuff (http://www.violinist.com/directory/bio.cfm?member=SimonS) and I would like to try them.
In particular I would like to know how do they compare to their sisters, the Tzigane. The Tzigane have been excellent strings for me and if the Virtuoso would keep most of its good qualities (playability, resonance) with some more Ooomph, they would be perfect.

Another string set that I am very curious is the "Cantiga". In many threads they have been praised but with little details about its characteristics.

April 27, 2018, 5:03 PM · I tried one set of Larsen Virtuoso strings when they first come out because they were on sale at a reasonable price for only a short period of time. I really liked them and they sounded well for a fair amount of time but I was not willing to pay the full price for another set. They really were fun strings.
April 27, 2018, 6:39 PM · Virtuosos are very different from Tziganes, at least to me. Virtuosos seem to me to be a brighter version of regular Larsens. Tziganes were pretty good on my violin for a brief period of time, but they had brutally short longevity (I've had that issue with regular Larsens also). Virtuosos weren't especially good.

April 27, 2018, 10:52 PM · That's very useful, thanks Lydia. Do you have experience with Cantigas?
April 28, 2018, 12:49 AM · I've tried Cantigas on my viola: similar to Alliance Vivace, also from Corelli. But it's hard to compare two sets when one is brand new and the other a few weeks old. As with their nylon-cored Crystal, I find them a little thicker than average, and lacking in "shimmer" (perhaps due to their high-ish tension?), but pleasant and forgiving of a tired bowing arm..
April 28, 2018, 8:26 AM · Dominants sound far superior on my violin because the lower tension. I’m curious if the Virtuousos would sound better since they’re even lower tension.
May 1, 2018, 5:58 PM · Hi Daniel, I wonder if you should try a differnet lower tension E-String with the PI strings! Maybe also a different A-String. because I feel the D (aluminum) and G string of the PI set are very smooth and silky while being powerful. On my violin though the E-string, especially the expensive platinum one didn't work at all! But with a more flexible E-String like the Jargar Medium oreven an Evah Pirazzi Gold E, the PI might be a better set overall.
As for the Larsen Virtuoso: Definitely try them out! You won't regret, I am sure. They have one of the best playabilities that I know of... as well for the left hand as for the bow. Their sound is very fine and also gutsy if needed. But they are certainly more on the bright side of strings and also not the loudest if you go with the medium set. But do not worry, they have some power too.
Unfortunately I cannot compare them to dominants, because I never really played on dominants for the last 15 years or so. I remember using dominants when I was starting with the violin in school. One student of mine plays them though and I would say they sound a little bit more nasal than the Virtuosos.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases