Bach Chaconne in D minor...what note or chord starts the theme/does it shift keys

June 6, 2017, 11:30 AM · Bach Chaconne in D minor...what note or chord starts the theme/does it shift keys? I'm having hard times with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqA3qQMKueA

I use two tunings: what note or chord starts the theme in both
A = 415(Baroque)
A = 440(Contemporary)

Replies (4)

June 6, 2017, 12:35 PM · The theme starts with the initial D chord in the first measure. The theme consists of the D, C#, B, and A in the first four measures.
Edited: June 10, 2017, 2:07 AM · Indeed the "theme" is in the bass line; but this does not imply accentuating it throughout the piece. Note how it starts on the second beat of each measure (more or less..)

There are no changes of key, but there is a D major section.

June 13, 2017, 10:09 AM · It doesn't matter what tuning you use. D minor is D minor.

What do you mean you're "having a hard time starting it"? Are you attempting to play it but can't figure out the first chord? Do you have the sheet music, or are you trying to learn it by ear? Can you read music?

If you can't read the music or don't have the music, you're probably not ready for this piece.

Edited: June 13, 2017, 11:54 AM · I would go further -- if you do have the music and you cannot see that the first chord is D minor then you are not ready for this piece, nor are you prepared to teach violin to anyone.

Now ... what's the next chord? The one that goes D-G-Bb-E? *grin*

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music