Warchal briliant Vs. Peter Infeld

April 17, 2018, 11:51 AM · Hi friends, I have an Italian violin cirta 1921, and during the last 2 years I played with Warchal brilliant (exl. E string). A luthier adviced me to replace to Peter Infeld because it might sound better. It will be hughly appreciated having your advice

Replies (15)

Edited: April 17, 2018, 12:50 PM · The PI strings are excellent on my modern Italian violin (1995) although I use Goldbrokat E - but they may not suit your instrument. You need to test to see.
Edited: April 17, 2018, 3:15 PM · Yes, I'd give it a try for about 1 week -- experiment and compare; but I'd keep the Warchal at the ready -- in case you don't find the Peter Infeld to be better for your fiddle.

I have no firsthand experience with Warchal yet, and my PI experience is limited -- only tried D-G so far. They were great on my 1921 instrument. Current setup with this instrument:

E - Goldbrokat Medium
A - Vision Solo
D - Peter Infeld Aluminum
G - Infeld Red

Picking up on Peter's response: This same combo doesn't suit my 1883 instrument nearly as well as it does the 1921 fiddle -- tension too high for it.

Edited: April 17, 2018, 7:59 PM · The PIs have a lot to offer. I have stopped using them except for the Pt E, but they are really well made, and have fantastic overtones. Playing in tune was never so easy.

When I tried Warchals, I had the opposite response. Not false, exactly, but very unpleasant as the overtones didn’t line up with each other either by string or across registers. Perhaps it was something special about my violin and its setup, but they didn’t stay on for long.

Jim’s advice is good. Try PI, but be prepared to go back.

April 17, 2018, 8:13 PM · The PI platinum E was good on my 1896 "modern" Italian, but the rest of the PIs were not. I used Evah Pirazzi Gold on the other strings, for that violin.

Some people love PIs, but they haven't worked on my violins, otherwise.

Edited: April 17, 2018, 8:58 PM · What was the reasoning of the luthier for the advice?

One might say that one loves certain strings and recommend to give a try, but watching a persons instrument and recommending a particular string over any other seems overreaching if such recommendation is made as "professional advice" without a professional justification.

April 18, 2018, 5:43 AM · I use PI's on my French violin from 1880, and they're a great match for that instrument. My 1922 violin (also French, but a different maker) seems to do better with Warchal Brilliant Vintage. If you're not put off by the price tag of PI's, they're worth a try. Your mileage will vary as to which set works better for you.
April 18, 2018, 9:21 AM · I recently switched strings from PI to Warchal brilliants on my Amati. They project well with great clarity. I have PI strings on other violins of mine. You really can’t generalise, but as strings are an inexpensive way to change the sound of your fiddle, experiment with what works best for you.

Cheers Carlo

April 20, 2018, 12:43 AM · Thanks all members for your comments.
Edited: April 28, 2018, 6:39 PM · Apart from the G string, I havent tried the the full PI set. The G string was really good (and so is the Warchal Brilliant as below).

However I have the Warchal Brilliant on for a while now and my violin is loving them (I've tried dominants, titanium solo, pi g string, different e strings).

The sound is the best my violin has so far produced, the feel of the strings is just great and compared to other strings they're reasonably priced. I am keen to try some other Warchal strings after this set but I can safely say that for my violin I found a compatible set of strings that sound great.

April 30, 2018, 6:37 PM ·
April 30, 2018, 6:41 PM · on my violin I thought the warchals were just too bright/harsh. For that type of sound I liked the vision titanium solos better. The PI’s on my violin have more brightness than the vision solo’s yet are never annoying to me. They have become my goto string. I’ve tried several of the warchals and it seems like for each attribute they may have, there is a string that can do it better
Edited: May 2, 2018, 1:24 AM · Have you tried Amber set as well? It is hard to believe it could sound bright on any violin.
May 3, 2018, 12:04 PM · Haven't tried the Warchal Brilliants, but I've played on PIs. They're too bright and steely on my violin, and they were a bit cold.
Every violin is different though, and the Pis last pretty long but are a bit more expensive, so maybe try the Peter Infields and see for yourself.
Edited: May 4, 2018, 8:26 AM · You just have to try them and see if you like them.

I recently switched to Warchal Brilliant G and D from Vision Solo. The Brilliants are bright and clear, but lower-tension and warmer than Vision Solos or Evahs.

The Brilliants are also not as tune-stable as the Visions but not enough that it's a problem -- and the Vision Solos are exemplary in that quality.

My introduction to Warchal was the Amber E, which is a terrific non-whistling E with a wonderful meaty sound. And then I decided to try the Warchal Avantgarde A, a steel A that is uses the same twisting technology as the Amber E.

I believe the twist adds overtones and complexity and removes the harshness. To my surprise the Avangarde sounds very similar to a Vision Solo or Evah A, but, being a steel strand, is easier to play with better clarity in high positions. The Avantgarde also seem to last longer.

So anyway I'm all Warchal now. I still love Vision Solos but Thomastik keeps raising the prices (G string now around $30 -- for one violin string!). It led me to experiment and at the moment I really like Brilliants for lower strings.

May 4, 2018, 9:19 AM · @Thomas Boyer. One more vote for the combination of Avantgarde with Amber E. Fantastic sound and playability. I am mixing them with Tzigane and they blend beautifully with Tzigane D.
I am convinced by the Avantgarde & Amber combo and now I will try to find the right lower strings to go with them. I will try your advice of brilliants (although next in queue are Eudoxas stiff).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases