thais meditation unaccompanied?

April 13, 2018, 3:27 PM · My aunt passed away and I have been asked to play at the funeral. I am considering Meditation from Thais, but there is no piano in the church, and I am not sure if I can get the organist to play it on short notice. Also I will be flying in the morning of the funeral, so there is not much time to rehearse with an accompanist. What do you think - will it work without accompaniment or should I find something else? Suggestions?

Replies (11)

April 13, 2018, 3:30 PM · Yes, it will. I've done it before unaccompanied.
April 13, 2018, 3:30 PM · Bach Sarabande in Re minor
Edited: April 13, 2018, 3:44 PM · I played Meditation with an organ accompanist at an 11 AM funeral service for my dearest friend after driving 400 miles that morning to get there. I think we had a few minutes to get the tempo agreed before we started. I'd been away from my violin all week. My wife says it was the best I've ever played.

I think it would work without an accompaniment - that's the way one practices it.

Just be sure your violin arrives when you do.

April 13, 2018, 4:52 PM · In case you don't know, youtube has a lot of good versions of this piece unaccompanied. Here is one.

April 13, 2018, 5:02 PM · Use this in the background with the church's sound system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHIJYCNIbRY.
Edited: April 13, 2018, 5:53 PM · This is an interesting question. The thing is that those of us who already know the piece can "fill in" from our memory of it. Someone who's never heard it wouldn't have that ability, and their experience of it would be quite different. I'd guess that a player would have to consider the inexperienced listener's point of view.
April 13, 2018, 9:54 PM · I play it unaccompanied for my mother's assisted living center every time I visit (four or five times a year). The residents love it. It sounds fine without accompaniment.

I am sorry for your loss.

April 16, 2018, 7:42 PM · Yes you can and it's a very good choice. Someone else suggested the Bach D Minor Sarabande, and that's lovely too. It's harder but you're a pro, right? So you should have it on your racquet, so to speak. Another very pretty tune is "Songs My Mother Taught Me" which can be either somber or bright depending on the tempo. Depending on the arrangement also it can be short or longer.
April 17, 2018, 1:06 PM · Thanks for the replies. I have decided to play the meditation unaccompanied. I'm not a pro, so even if I have played the Sarabande before it was many years ago and I don't think I can get it to performance level on short notice.
April 17, 2018, 1:15 PM · That sarabande is the hardest movement in the D minor Partita except perhaps for the chaconne.
April 17, 2018, 4:12 PM · How about bringing a wireless bluetooth speaker, and load the backing track on a smartphone or other small playback device?

There's quite a few available out there; this one on YouTube is not bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHIJYCNIbRY&index=12&list=PLPlZMgBFDZ3MCTHfJd73IZL5dfGdm9v2b

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin