New Strings?

Edited: April 11, 2018, 10:38 AM · I’ve been planning to purchase new set of strings lately. I have a very cheap beginner’s violin. Costed me around $100.
This one:

https://youtu.be/NnX711Fo-Uo

Been playing since 1.6 years and I’ve realised that it doesn’t sound well, especially the D string when played beyond 4th position. Regardless of how hard I press, the D string doesn’t ‘ring’ and produces a sound that can be compared to the one when strings are not being pressed hard enough. Also, right before the first A on the D string, the outer-most steel layer came off. Which makes it difficult for me to shift positions on D string. [photogroph attached]

https://imageshack.com/i/pngOOl7Pj

The violin too doesn’t sound all the ‘warm’. And sounds very sharp. I prefer a warm sound.
Strings aren’t available where I live, so I asked my cousin, who’s in U.S, to purchase for me a set of Piastro Obliagto from Amazon. I learnt tha Obligato produce a nice ‘warm’ sound.

Will it make my cheap violin sound marginally better? Consider the fact that I can’t afford to purchase a better instrument anytime soon. (Atleast for the next 2 years)

Replies (11)

April 11, 2018, 10:07 AM · I would try John Pearse Artiste on that. A set costs about $20.
April 11, 2018, 10:23 AM · Tonicas might also be a good choice and cost around $30. They should improve the sound a bit. Considering that your strings are in awful shape, it's worth a try.
April 11, 2018, 11:07 AM · @Lydia @Ella Yu, Might I know the reasons behind the recommendations? I like the warmth of obligato. They are expensive though.
April 11, 2018, 11:11 AM · Artistes are warm, decent-quality synthetics for a very low price, and they can tame harsh super-cheap violins like yours.

Otherwise I'd recommend Pirastro Aricore, but they run $75 a set these days, which is almost as expensive as your violin. I'd recommend Pirastro Violinos over Obligatos for your situation, but both generally run about $50 a set.

Spend less on strings, because they can only do so much to tame a terrible $100 VSO. Save the money towards buying something better.

Edited: April 11, 2018, 12:52 PM · I recommended Tonicas because they're cheap for good synthetics and they should warm up your violin a fair bit. How about Pro Arte, Alphayue and Spirit? I think they should all improve your violin somewhat.
April 11, 2018, 7:02 PM · Beginner's violins start showing limitations when going high in the fingerboard.

Also the set up, in particular soundpost going further than ideal towards the trebble, affects the high positions in G & D.

Larsen Tzigane has showed a capacity to deliver good notes in high positions in G&D, in violins that otherwise choked on them.

I also don't have regular access to strings and accesories. I have been ordering, internationally, from https://www.thestringzone.co.uk and the service and delivery time have been outstanding.

April 11, 2018, 8:38 PM · I agree with Lydia on Violino over Oblagato for warmth. Violino should be less expensive than Obligato, but more expensive than others she suggested.
April 11, 2018, 10:06 PM · Violino used to be less expensive than Obligato. Checking prices today, this seems not to be the case.

Larsen Tzigane is also a set in the $75 range, so way too expensive for a $100 violin.

Edited: April 12, 2018, 10:43 PM · "Beginner's violins start showing limitations when going high in the fingerboard."

Not only beginner's violins, some expensive ones as well!

Playing high up needs a different technique anyway with smaller distances, alternative fingerings, and a smaller faster vibrato. (All quite obvious I know!)

April 13, 2018, 4:57 AM · You can't take it for granted that Obligatos will make your violin sound warm. It depends on the instrument. On my violin I tried Obligatos and it just made it sound a bit dull. It's instrument dependent - the strings that sound best for my instrument are Thomastic PI (Peter Infeld) - but they are expensive, and probably wouldn't work on your violin.
Edited: April 13, 2018, 9:22 AM · I see Quinn sells Violinos for about 50/set versus about 90/set for Obligatos. That’s a big difference!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin