Evah Pirazzi Golds and Obligatos - easy to play?

April 3, 2018, 4:22 AM · Hi!

I was wondering how easy to play or responsive are Evah Golds and Obligatos compared to Evah Pirazzis (especially for someone who has played violin for one year)? I think Evah Pirazzis are little bit too loud and bright to me, but I like that how easy they are to play. I prefer more warm sound and sound of gut strings. So, which strings are the best for me? :)

Replies (21)

April 3, 2018, 6:21 AM · I’ve not used EP golds, but I’ve used obligato sand regular Evahs. I would say that obligato are easier to play with because they are a lot lower tension than Evahs, but Evah are a lot louder and more responsive . Also, obligato strings sound absolutely hideous until they break in.
April 3, 2018, 6:37 AM · Hi Samuel

I have used all three in the past, in many instruments. Before everything else I suppose you are familiar with the fact that most string sets behave differently from one violin to another, and when played by a certain player. That been told, in my experience the Evah Pirazzi was by far the most responsive of the three ( I am talking about the medium gauge).

Evah Pirazzi Gold had a more round sound, but was lacking an edge the Evah Pirazzi had. Also it seemed as if it was slightly less responsive and a little bigger in string diameter. In terms of left hand feel it was somehow similar with the greens.

Obligato is a different string than the previous. They are also loud (all three are loud) but slightly with less "core" sound than the Evah Pirazzi, and usually more overtone and on some violins they may sound warmer. However their response in my experience should not be expected to be the same as the Evahs in the same violin. (of all the composite strings of Pirastro -Evah, Evah Gold, Obligato and Violino - if one suited a violin, then the odds for the rest doing the same almost diminished. And that's reasonable, they are designed to do different things) They are thinner, and less tense (they feel much softer in the left hand, but can take enough digging in the right).

Now if your violin is really dark, especially in the D and G I would personally not prefer the Obligato since it could make your low end sound fuzzy. If that's the case I would go with Dominant

April 3, 2018, 9:38 AM · It's odd that you say you prefer a gut sound, because the green Evah Pirazzis about as far from gut-like as you can get in a synthetic string.

Obligatos have a relatively gut-like sound for synthetics -- they are closer in sound to, say, Eudoxas. EP Golds are sort of like a blend of EP and Obligatos, but definitely closer to the EP side.

If you want a gut-like sound, with the stability of a synthetic, try Pirastro's Passione strings, which are a gut/composite core. Terrific strings, in my opinion.

April 3, 2018, 11:17 AM · Okay, thanks! You said passione, how easy they are to play compared those three strings and can I use them with fine tuners? ('cause they're gut strings)

April 3, 2018, 11:19 AM · Passione response is fairly similar to EP Golds. Gut has a slightly slower response than synthetics do.

You shouldn't use fine tuners on anything other than steel strings.

Edited: April 3, 2018, 11:33 AM · Ok. So, does strings' good responsive mean they're easy to play? I'm sorry, I don't know, I am a beginner :)
April 3, 2018, 4:17 PM · My view is that, of the three, obligato strings are (slightly) easier (more comfortable under the fingers) than the others.

Really, this is not a big issue for the first few years of your violin life, is it? A couple of thousand hours up the road and it might be time for a good instrument and some deep thinking about strings.

Get a good violinist to play your current set up and you might understand my thoughts better.

But, of course, do as much scouting about for opinions, if you like this "research": just keep up the practice, and strive to play more in public, as the next few years roll by.

April 3, 2018, 5:57 PM · I'm currently using Passione strings, coming from EP green, which I've used and like a lot. Temper want I'm saying by considering I'm a beginner/intermediate. For whatever reason, to me they seem very easy to play. I've only recently started playing violin, but for 25+ years I've had problems with tendonitis due to a variety of reasons. I thought they must be much lower tension than EP green, but as Lydia has pointed out in the past, surprisingly they're not that much lower overall (in fact, the D Passione 13 1/2 has a higher tension than even the EP green). They really feel lower tension than EP green, and I'm able to play without much pain. What's puzzling to me is I find it very difficult to play double stops well with Passiones. I don't have the same problem with EP green. Anyways, of all the strings I've tried, they're the most different. Definitely worth a try, if you're patient enough for them to settle in. As for response, I'm really not at a level to say, but Alina Ibragimova uses them and they clearly work well for her.
April 4, 2018, 12:28 AM · Ok, thanks! Has someone experiences of Pirastro Gold -gut strings? How similar they are with Evah Pirazzis?
April 4, 2018, 3:37 AM · @Lydia Leong: when I first tried EPG a few years ago, the first thought that came into my head was 'these are kinda like Obligatos' I think EPG are closer to Obligatos than EP, not in all respects, but to me they just felt and sounded like a better version of Obligatos. I'm not a fan of Obligatos, But I liked your statement about being a 'blend'.
April 4, 2018, 5:04 AM · @Samuel: I’m using Pirastro gold label strings right now, and I love the sound of them. They are the easiest strings to play that I have come across and give a warm, open sound. I can’t compare them to EP since I haven’t used those, but they are much richer and more brilliant than obligatos and are slightly more responsive on my violin. They’re pretty pitch stable too for me.
April 4, 2018, 1:37 PM · Obligatos seem to be pretty nice for beginners, in my experience. If I had to recommend a string for a beginner who wants the easiest possible experience, it would either have to be Dominants or Obligatos.

With all of that said, you're really not going to notice much of a difference between any strings above $40 until you've been playing longer.

April 4, 2018, 2:24 PM · Gold Label is a fairly decent set. They must have changed something because they stabilized (stretched) usual than the norm for gut last time I used them. The A speaks clearly and has power. Nice, balanced tension on the strings as well-excellent left hand feel.

Tricolore are richer and more powerful in comparison, but the Gold Label tone is nice without being weak or muddy. I often think them being labeled a "budget"/"value" string doesn't help their case. They are better than many "value" strings out there, IMO.

April 5, 2018, 6:46 PM · Thanks for the info Erik. I've used Obligatos on my previous cheaper violin and liked them. When I'm done with the Passiones on my new violin (it's only seen EP green and Passione so far), I'll probably switch to Obligatos (or maybe even Wondertones; I have both). Again, I think the Passiones are really interesting strings for a variety of reasons, and hope in the future I'm able to play them better than I can now.
April 6, 2018, 6:30 AM · Ok, thanks! I think I have to ask now, which strings should I buy for under 1000€ violin (but it’s good) : obligatos, evah pirazzi golds (that’s what I am especially thinking the most) or passiones?

Samuel

April 6, 2018, 6:32 AM · ps. If I want smooth, warm but clean and rich strings and it’s important they are easy and comfortable to play :)
April 6, 2018, 10:32 AM · Samuel, you can buy any of these, the retail price of your instrument should have nothing to do with it. And above all else, it says nothing of its sound character.

Your last post however made me throw Pirastro Violino in the conversation. It is significantly lower tension than the Evah Pirazzi however that you are now using, so it would feel much softer in your left hand and bow, and they are not as loud as Obligato or EP Gold. Also they are significantly cheaper.

April 6, 2018, 11:01 AM · @Hermes

I'm sorry I said "I think Evah Pirazzis are little bit too loud and bright to me...", because loudness (or maybe brightness, but rather warmer ones) isn't a big deal in this case. I'm finding final result by you guys: Which is smoother, warmer, richer and easier to play, Obligatos or EP Golds? :)

April 6, 2018, 12:15 PM · @ Samuel In my experience, Obligatos.

April 6, 2018, 1:40 PM · @Hermes Ok, thanks!
April 10, 2018, 2:35 AM · John C, if tendonitis is an issue I'd recommend you try low-tension (weich) dominants. They are really, really easy to press down.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin