RIP Michael Tree, Guarneri Quartet violist.

March 31, 2018, 4:48 PM · RIP Michael Tree. Quite a generous man. It was Michael who, many years ago, convinced me to become a viola maker. He will be missed a lot.

Replies (7)

March 31, 2018, 6:36 PM · Sorry to hear that. He will surely be missed by many people. I hope it's okay to ask, but what did he die from?
Edited: March 31, 2018, 10:55 PM · Such sad news. I had some lessons and chamber music coaching from him in the 1970's; it was a stellar experience. He was a wonderful teacher.
Edited: April 1, 2018, 1:26 AM · So sorry to hear the sad news about this wonderful musician. Ella - he passed away as a result of a injury he sustained from falling down a flight of stairs a few weeks ago.
April 1, 2018, 9:12 AM · How tragic!
Edited: April 1, 2018, 4:41 PM · So sad to happen. Does this end the musical dynasty of his parents, Samuel and Sada Applebaum (of method and "The Way They Play) fame"?
April 1, 2018, 2:36 PM · I was never at the level that I could claim a personal connection to Michael Tree, but what has been said about him here and on the viola listserve is consistent with what I have read and seen, mostly through "High Fidelity" and "The Art of String Quartet Playing". There are so few violists for people like me to look up to (violinists can make their choices based on so many variables) and I feel fortunate that we have someone with Michael Tree stature to look up to. And Luis, you are special for dedicating your life to making violas. Thank you.
Edited: April 2, 2018, 3:26 AM · Grazie tante Francesca!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin