Must-have violin technique study books

June 5, 2017, 3:25 AM · Hi everyone! As the title implies, I'm looking for violin technique books that are essential. I currently only have the Kreutzer etudes (edition Peters). Also, I'd like to know what editions to buy. I've heard that for some reason G. Schirmer is bad, can someone explain why? Thanks in advance, everyone!

Replies (8)

June 5, 2017, 6:13 AM · Years ago Buri made something akin to a graded list. Sassmannshaus and others have graded lists too. If you are at Czardas level I recommend Kaiser which will be easier but still worthwhile and Mazas. Yes you could do some Kreutzer but getting the others very clean and in tune will shore up your chops.
June 5, 2017, 6:54 AM · Hrimaly Scale Studies, Dont Op. 35 and Dancla Op. 74 are all recommended. Schirmer editions were my favorites while growing up. I always liked the layout and editing. Later on, some of the Paganini Caprices are good study works.

A lot of these studies are also good remedial works when something is going wrong in your playing. If you don't have regular lessons with a teacher it is helpful to find an occasional "coach," who can review your playing for your weaknesses and recommend specific etudes for you to work with. I know, the last coaching I had (44 years ago) it was recommended that I include Don't # 6 (for 4th finger) and two of the Paganini caprices in my daily routine along with certain 3 octave scales/arpegios and I put those together in a 30 minute warmup routine that I used daily for the next 5 years - it worked to loosen me up so that I could start each day about where I left off the day before. Even as young as I was at the time (39) I had aches and pains when I started to play every day and that routine worked them out so I could get down to the real stuff for the next hour or so.

June 5, 2017, 2:06 PM · It is not an etude book, but whenever this question is asked I always recommend Simon Fischer's Basics. Actually, all the Fischer books are great resources. But I would say Basics is the most useful, and it has practice routines and suggestions for pretty much everything.
June 5, 2017, 2:26 PM · For advanced levels, to be kept and reviewed (and used to create exercises for yourself) I recommend:

Kreutzer- Heifetz' Violin Bible (technical emphasis)

Rode- Kogan said you need nothing else for technical and artistic perfection (artisticemphasis)

Dont- To incorporate some other aspects of technique, and some nice music in there too! (Basic techniqeus at an advanced level to catch spots that need polish) :)

Edited: June 6, 2017, 3:38 PM · Sevcik and Mazas (Mazas - Peters ed.)

Edited:

You stated that you only have Kreutzer? Does it mean you dont have Wohlfahrt yet hence haven't done it?

June 19, 2017, 8:01 PM · Agree with Helen- Simon Fischer's books over Flesch, Galamian, Auer, Szigetti.
I am partial to Mazas for well rounded and musical exercises.
Stay away from Sevcik- especially if you are obsessive compulsive- unless you have an extra forty years to go through all of his variants before you get to play music- oh and learn to read it.
June 19, 2017, 10:36 PM · As a 2nd year masters student at conservatory, ├ętudes & scales are a huge part of my practice routine. Based on what my teacher has recommended and what I've noticed has really improved my technique, I'd recommend: Dont Op. 35, Sevcik Op. 8, Schradieck, (definitely Kreutzer which you already have), Ivan Galamian's Contemporary Violin Technique, and Carl Flesch Scale System. Hope this helps! Everyone definitely has their own favorites, so I'd recommend trying whatever you find fun/helpful to you:)
June 20, 2017, 5:39 PM · I love Simon Fischer. My teacher gets a kick out of Sevcik. I prefer more musical practices, so I'll be lurking this thread for myself.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music