How much can a hardfoam case endure?

Edited: March 25, 2018, 10:25 AM · There have been two occasions where my violin could've suffered massive damage: 1) when I left my violin at my house for 8 hrs and when I came back there was deep gash like depression on the side of my case (someone at my house had been reckless -_-). I checked to see if my violin had been damaged (because the impact seemed that great) but it was okay; 2) this one happened half an hour ago when I was moving my case to another location and I bumped it into a chair so bad that even a family member was shook. My violin survived that, too.
Its great and all that my violin has survived but I want to know how much my case can endure.

Replies (4)

March 25, 2018, 10:31 AM · Your case can endure a lot, but your violin will be always in danger.

If you have a good violin, get a good case for it.

March 25, 2018, 10:43 AM · It's a $200 hofner student violin. I'm not sure what your definition of a good violin is but mine won't cost me money if it's damaged but rather sentiments.
I want to get a good case but I'm not sure if I'm at that point in my progress yet. Thank you for telling me this. I had no idea that the violin could be damaged whilst the case survives. O.o
March 25, 2018, 12:29 PM · Foam cases protect from shocks and temperature changes, but absolutely not against crushing. We need a stiff, tough, heat-insulating non-splittable outer shell containing enough foam in the right places to avoid any contact between this shell and any part of the violin under any circumstance.

That said, if yopur buses or subway rides are not too crowded, a foam case can be enough.

March 25, 2018, 10:44 PM · Once a foam case has been damaged (you mention a gash) the shell will start to fall apart from fatigue and offer less and less protection. You should get a new case.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin