Musical dog names please

March 20, 2018, 12:32 AM · Hello, for something completely light hearted. We are going to be joined at the end of March by a puppy girl (cockapoo). Could you please suggest any music related names. Will appreciate your input and much obliged for taking the time.

Replies (49)

March 20, 2018, 1:38 AM · "Signor Pizzicato" from Tubby the Tuba
March 20, 2018, 2:06 AM · Dolce?
March 20, 2018, 2:31 AM · If you ask this forum, you should be able to predict the answer:
"What does your teacher say?" Kinda long for a dog.
:-D
As a dog owner myself and with the regular find of dog hairs in the violin, I would call her "Rosin". You have some jokes there...

And I always liked "Gavotte" for a dog.

March 20, 2018, 3:26 AM · As long as she’s a puppy, you could call her Treble.
Edited: March 20, 2018, 4:06 AM · How about Ben?

Ben Rimato, Ben Marcato, etc.

@Carlos made me laugh. It's really just a few people that can be counted on to say "ask your teacher" every time, and usually right at the top of a thread, but still funny. Not too long for a dachshund!

March 20, 2018, 4:09 AM · Dog names are a matter of personal taste and should be chosen according to the type of dog and to your preferences. Do you use the dog mostly for chamber music, solo or orchestra? If it is a warm dog it might benefit from a bright name. You really should bring the dog to your luthier and have him call it by different names to see how it reacts. I am guessing that the dog comes with natural guts? Some people would suggest that you replace them with synthetics because of instability, but I think you will find that gut stability will increase once the guts are broken in. And try to avoid high tension leash - it can choke some dogs.
Edited: March 20, 2018, 4:40 AM · Not so clearly music related, or cute or funny like Rosin and Treble (I love both!), but I'd like to suggest Alma, after Alma Mahler. On the other hand, "Alma" means "soul" in Spanish, but it's also the word for the violin's soundpost, so in Spanish the soundpost is the violin's soul.

It's not an uncommon name for female dogs and cats in Spain, especially for dogs.

Also Clara, after Clara Schumann.

March 20, 2018, 4:39 AM · @ Bo Pontoppidan: That's great advice! It's all in the setup. In some dogs, tightening the collar or shortening the tailpiece, can bring some nasty howlings.
By the way, is a dog from China a good dog? I have heard that in some blind testings they barked better than the italians. I say rubbish. Nothing beats the deep growl of an old German one.
March 20, 2018, 4:40 AM · You are all a fabulous and funny bunch! Thank you!! And no, I have not asked my teacher ??
Edited: March 20, 2018, 4:44 AM · "In some dogs, tightening the collar or shortening the tailpiece, can bring some nasty howlings."

Or a wolf tone, if the whole dog vibrates sympathetically!

March 20, 2018, 6:15 AM · In the film "Amadeus" Mozart's wife called him "Wolfy." That might suit your dog. Or how about "Amadeus?"
March 20, 2018, 6:21 AM · My childhood violin teacher had a hyperactive toy poodle named "Scherzo."
March 20, 2018, 7:46 AM · My dog produces a shrill, nasal howl whenever I play within earshot.

"Ponticello", or "Ponty" for short.

Edited: March 20, 2018, 8:46 AM · You could call it Rémi.... like in Do Ré Mi... or Lasi, or Sol !
March 20, 2018, 10:04 AM · I had an Iguana named "Django" and think it could work for a dog as well.
March 20, 2018, 11:32 AM · Toot? Tootlina or Tootashia for a female.

Bow....wow? Bowsie. Hooter? These have musical connotations.Tone..ie, Toniie.Jazz, Jazzie.

I'm making these short and simple by design. When you call her you don't want to be calling out long names.Imagine calling her Bethoven Mozart the second.

Edited: March 20, 2018, 12:12 PM · “Viola” is also a person’s name!
March 20, 2018, 12:52 PM · How about Dogolin?

Hahahaha

March 20, 2018, 1:01 PM · My boss’s dog is Gigi or Geegee. I think that’s a cute name, and it’s a musical note.
March 20, 2018, 1:59 PM · Some suggestions...
Hindemith, Cage, Wozzeck, Hary Janos, Anna Sophie Mutter, Julia Fischer, Sforzando, Allegro, Tuba, Sackbut, Dover, Guarneri, Endpin, Bell.
March 20, 2018, 6:58 PM · Hemiola?
March 20, 2018, 7:43 PM · Cockapoo puppy? Vivace. Or, given most popular activity, Rondo.
March 20, 2018, 7:43 PM · Gigue
March 20, 2018, 11:43 PM · Da Capo? Since they love to play the same little games again and again - and for nonmusical people you could claim him to be of old Cockapoo aristocracy (like Ernesto Eduardo II. da Capo)
March 21, 2018, 4:30 AM · Alma maehler? She was not a musician!

March 21, 2018, 4:33 AM ·
Edited: March 21, 2018, 5:29 AM · How about “Melody”? (Or Mel for a shorter version)
Edited: March 21, 2018, 6:12 AM · "Alma maehler? She was not a musician!"

Yes, Bruno, she was, but after marrying Gustav Mahler he insisted she gave up composing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/3f96a4b5-4b66-4987-b1e3-444fd5795aa8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0uh-MPPiDg

https://www.alma-mahler.at/engl/almas_life/almaunddiemusik.html

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/alma-mahler-mn0002342902/biography

Though I am afraid that, as a human being, she was a very controversial person, to say it lightly...

I just suggested it also because of its meaning in Spanish, although I understand that it does not sound music-related to an English speaker. It's a nice name for a dog, though.

March 21, 2018, 6:21 AM · Spiccato or
Thias
March 21, 2018, 6:40 AM · Pagcanine.
Vitaili.
Bowauer.
March 21, 2018, 6:41 AM · My father's dachshund back in Prague was called Waldi, which gave me the idea as achild that there was something canine about Vivaldi. Probably won't do for an English speaking country though.
Well, there's the obvious Bach, perhaps Biteoven, perhaps Bay-reuth, Wag-ner, Fidolio ...
Milhaud will definitely not do - Every time you call her, she'll think you're a cat. On the hand, until she was house trained, Messiaen would be quite appropriate.
Norma, Dido, Turandog, Puppygena, German Shepherd on the Rock, l'Arlsatienne, Cockaigne-2, Españel ...
Edited: March 21, 2018, 7:45 AM · Primrosin.
Fleaola.
Houndpost.
(Thinking up these names really gives one a new leash on life)
Edited: March 21, 2018, 10:30 PM · My impromptu top ten
10. Peg
9. re-mi
8. frosch
7. c bout
6. leggio
5. evah
4. Pi
3. ricochet
2. bogen
1. scattante
March 21, 2018, 11:02 PM · ...and the Oscar goes to Demian Hesse for 'Best Visual Effects'
March 22, 2018, 4:42 AM · We had a bird (sun conyer) that we called Tango; could work for a dog.
March 22, 2018, 2:57 PM · What about TUTTI, as dogs are pack animals too
March 23, 2018, 12:30 PM · I actually have, as registered names, a Caprice and a Toccata, the letter goes by Amber ;)
April 1, 2018, 12:33 PM · Ask your teacher. Also, shoutout to Bo for that great answer. I have never tried the natural guts, and I heard they were pretty unstable, so I would personally just use my preferred synthetics, by the way...
April 1, 2018, 8:31 PM · Synthetic dogs? Would they be Dominant? Could they be trained?
April 2, 2018, 6:11 AM · If it's "a real dog," you could go with "Cecilio." It sounds refined, but also very satisfying to yell.
April 2, 2018, 9:44 PM · According to many, Cecilio is only appropiate for a Dog Shaped Animal (DSA).
April 4, 2018, 1:41 PM · Edward - My preferred brand is actually Evah Pirazzi Greens, but I am going to test Dogal Capriccios in the future. Or I could try the Vivaldis, they're "synthetic gut" and some on this site have claimed that they are quite similar to the natural guts... I'll have to see.
April 6, 2018, 5:30 AM · Hammond
April 6, 2018, 11:32 AM · My dog's name is Treble. I do like that "scherzo" for a little hyper dog. Melody or harmony. Crotchet?
April 6, 2018, 5:31 PM · Bella Barktok
April 6, 2018, 6:50 PM · Hope the creature has a name by now...wonder what Melinda chose...
April 6, 2018, 7:15 PM · Scamperella?

Quadruplette?

April 7, 2018, 11:59 AM · How about Maestro or Maestra?
April 7, 2018, 1:55 PM · Czardas? Bass? Dot? Allegro? Andante (walking, get it? Yeah, it's bad...), um... yeah, I suck at this.
Oh, Tarantelle or Zigeunerweison! Or Carmen (Carmen Fantasy, if you must.) I also like Capriccio, Aria, Dolce, Forte, Spirito, Vivace, and Bravura.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin