I was going to take my violin to a luthier...

Edited: March 14, 2018, 8:18 AM · but I checked his work and found this harp tailpiece he made (and sells)

Not going to take my violin to him anymore, but planning on buying the tailpiece and hanging it on the wall as a piece of postmodern art

Replies (15)

March 14, 2018, 8:21 AM · Well I guess we are going to have another afterlength discussion here.

What kind of wood is this?

March 14, 2018, 8:25 AM · "Palo Santo", also known as Lignum Vitae, according to the seller.
March 14, 2018, 8:40 AM · A tailpiece only a mother could love.
Edited: March 14, 2018, 9:13 AM · Some of my colleagues use such a tailpiece. It's unusual but it isn't freakish. Some people believe that the longer afterlengths on the lower strings improve the sound.
Edited: March 14, 2018, 10:44 AM · Do their harp tailpieces look like the one above?

Also, what's your opinion on harp tailpieces in general? I have thought trying one, but I think it would be expensive considering you also need special strings to use them.

March 14, 2018, 10:54 AM · I love it!
March 14, 2018, 11:03 AM · Yes, the harp tailpieces look very much like the one above.

I have no opinion on harp tailpieces except that I have no desire to try one for myself.

March 14, 2018, 11:09 AM · @ Demian, Why special strings? I don't think the afterlength difference is that big...
Edited: March 14, 2018, 11:57 AM · Lignum Vitae is native to Caribbean islands, notably Haiti, and it's pretty much commercially extinct. It's regarded as the hardest, heaviest wood species - it sinks in water even when dried - and was traditionally the wood of choice for making woodcarver's mallets. It was also used for making bearings for propeller shafts on steamships because of its durability and water resistance. One distinguishing characteristic is the dramatic contrast between the heartwood and the sapwood, where the heartwood is a very dark rosewood color, while the sapwood is a light yellowish color similar to your tailpiece example. Still, that doesn't really look like Lignum Vitae to me. In any case, the craftsmanship is pathetic, and I think that's Demian's main point.
March 14, 2018, 12:17 PM · I was referring to craftsmanship as well, the actual style of the tailpiece isn’t my thing, but I don’t hate it.
Edited: March 14, 2018, 1:37 PM · @Mark Bouquet "the craftsmanship is pathetic, and I think that's Demian's main point. "

Yes, it looks poorly done. I've seen harp tailpieces, but never like this.

@Hermes Papakonstantinou
There are some harp tailpieces you can use with normal strings. I'm not sure if there would be enough difference to consider a change. Others need an extended G string, like this ZMT

March 14, 2018, 2:03 PM · Even a harp tailpiece is supposed to have a saddle just like a standard tail piece.
March 14, 2018, 3:26 PM · @Demian I would never imagine such a difference!

March 14, 2018, 6:24 PM · Sorry, I totally missed the craftmanship angle...I see what you mean now!
March 15, 2018, 12:03 AM · Anyone here watch Bad Santa?

Here's the relevant scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN0i_VQtb8o

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases