Zigeunerweisen Questions

March 11, 2018, 7:06 PM · Hello All,

My teacher recently started me on Zigeunerweisen for my high school senior recital and I have a couple questions about the piece:

1. For the mute section before the fast section, should a mute be used? There are recordings of people who don't use the mute and others who do.
2. How fast is it should the fast section be taken? I don't want lightning fast but I don't want to bore the audience either.
3. What is a good way to practice the fast section? I am trying to practice the section really slow with a metronome but it is still kind of hard to put together. Any good fingerings would be great also.
4. When doing the left-hand pizzicato in the fast section, should the tip of the bow be used or the middle for the alternating arco notes?

Replies (8)

March 11, 2018, 8:49 PM · What does your teacher say? For the fast section, I wouldn't play it fast until you can be reasonably comfortable with it. Play it slow many times, and familiarity will automatically push you to play it faster. Anywhere from 130-150 for the quarter note for the fast section is good, I think.
Edited: March 11, 2018, 9:35 PM · For the LH Pizz section, the alternating arco notes are basically spiccato, right? So my guess (as an amateur who thinks LH Pizz is mostly a stupid contrivance that doesn't even sound good when Heifetz does it) would be to use the part of the bow that you would use for spiccato.
March 11, 2018, 9:35 PM · I think the middle to lower half seems appropriate.
March 12, 2018, 9:36 AM · LH Pizz is a contrivance, created simply to show off;)
March 12, 2018, 3:19 PM · About the only good reason for LH pizz IMHO is, for instance, in orchestra where there is a pizz (hopefully on an open string) instantly followed by a busy arco passage - some composers don't always think through the ergonomics of that situation!
Edited: March 12, 2018, 4:54 PM · I always did it in the upper half of the bow. I think lower half of the bow sounds too harsh.
I used to think LF pizza was cool back in the old days when I could do it. Now I can no longer do that nor audibly snap my fingers. (PIZZA HA! HA! That;s my provincial, ignorant computer thinking for itself!!)

I always played the middle section with a mute - but you can get a similar effect bowing lightly and closer to the fingerboard. It depends on the tone qualities of your fiddle and what yu want to sound like.

March 12, 2018, 6:22 PM · Thank you all for your input! Will take them into consideration! :)
March 14, 2018, 10:25 AM · Hey, I'm also a junior in high school and am also using the Zig for my high school senior solo! I'm just wondering — how are you practicing the part where you shift for the harmonics in the allegro molto vivace section on what I believe is on the fourth page? I don't know if you've gotten there yet but I'm kind of struggling getting that part up to tempo. Good luck!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases