Should I replace my shoulder rest?

March 10, 2018, 7:04 PM · I'm kind of in a pickle right now. Currently I own a Viva La Musica Compact shoulder rest (4/4) and though I've had it for about 3 years (I've played for 4), there have been several occasions where I make, say, one move with my violin and it just slides off. Now, I don't know if the rubber feet are wearing down or whatever (does that actually happen?), but aside from that the foam/rubber seems to be quite comfortable for me while playing for long sessions at a time.

I recently tried out a friend's Kun collapsible shoulder rest on my violin, and I felt like it had better grip on my instrument and was less likely to slide off. The rest's foam/rubber felt very rigid and slightly uncomfortable for me though, but nonetheless it felt secure on the instrument.

Should I or no?

Replies (5)

March 10, 2018, 8:06 PM · How long has your slipping-off problem been occurring? Are your feet broken? You might want to get replacement feet.
March 10, 2018, 8:36 PM · You can secure it a little with a couple of rubber bands. Just because children do that routinely doesn't mean it's something shameful.
March 10, 2018, 9:18 PM · Ha ha! Starting with sponges and rubber bands is still an easy and inexpensive way to figure out what shape shoulder rest you need, and if you need one.
Edited: March 11, 2018, 10:54 PM · Was it the plastic or wooden kun collaspable? I know the Bravo also has a collaspable feature.

I much prefer the standard plastic one as it has a little give in it, but it kept sliding off and I switched to the Bravo. Works great. Only marginally less comfortable.

You might also try wedging it on a little tighter. It's held on by friction, increase the friction increase the holding power. As has already been mentioned you can also run an elastic or two from your endpin to a corner and 'strap it on'.

Edited: March 12, 2018, 4:25 PM · Shoulder rests are unnecessary and detrimental for many, imho. They're heavy, lock up your frame, fall off, lead many to poor posture, and cost money that your could have put towards something else.
That said, when my shoulder starts to get weak from too many days and hours of viola (just holding the darn thing up) because sometimes you juat can't say no, I use Peter Mach's low plastic model with kun feet on violin and the low small maple on viola at the beginning or end of rehearsal. Least detrimental to resonance, really light, and really secure (with Kun feet.)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition