Questions: EP Green vs EP Gold

Edited: March 5, 2018, 4:09 PM · I haven't had much experience with EP Green. had a set on a few years ago and they didn't work with that fiddle very well, but I've got different fiddles now.

Are EP Green: a bit warmer, higher tension, louder, longer lasting than EP Gold?

also (sneaking different questions into the same thread) what would be a less expensive Warchal alternative (aside from Karneol) to the above, throwing PI's into the question.

any input very much appreciated. Thank you.

Replies (7)

March 5, 2018, 4:28 PM · You might find some answers here

March 5, 2018, 4:54 PM · Thank you, Roger. yes, I did find that very helpful. enough to decide that I am not going to venture into the Green, but stick with the Gold.

I'm still interested in Warchal recommendations.

Edited: March 5, 2018, 6:36 PM · My opinion won't be popular in these forums, but I feel the EP green are great for what their purpose is, and of the two sets, is the one that allows for a lighter tension variant (which really amounts to medium, as the true mittel is a bit high tension.) The EP Gold come in only that "Medium" flavor, whether your violin likes it or not.

(I don't think that is of much relevance to you in particular, Mr. Snow, but had to make note of it.)

Brilliant and Brilliant Vintage for the second question (perhaps the first being more appealing to you, because you seem to not prefer lower tension.)

March 5, 2018, 6:39 PM · The same site has a tension chart, which is very useful for finding alternative with similar tension.

March 5, 2018, 8:27 PM · Adalberto: I just don't like tension as low as Karneols, or whatever it is that makes them so bouncy. are you saying then, that Brilliant Vintage is lower tension than Brilliant? Sorry, I can't seem to link to the tension chart right now. just how brilliant are the Brilliants. What other string could you compare them to. EP green or Gold or PI's or any thing else?

also, a bit confused... the 2 sets of EP green that you speak of. Are they medium & heavy or medium with an aluminum D...or something. I think I would be more interested in EP green with lighter tension.

Thanks for bearing with me.

March 5, 2018, 9:40 PM · I think Adalberto means Evah greens in light tension.

I've liked them too - the tension is comfortable, but not overly low.

They were less brilliant than the medium Evah greens and more colorful sounding.

March 5, 2018, 10:54 PM · thanks for clearing that up, Andrew. Green lights never occurred to me. Less brilliant and more colorful with less tension. I don't think either me or my violin could handle the mediums, but the lights sound very intriguing.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition