Questions: EP Green vs EP Gold

Edited: March 5, 2018, 4:09 PM · I haven't had much experience with EP Green. had a set on a few years ago and they didn't work with that fiddle very well, but I've got different fiddles now.

Are EP Green: a bit warmer, higher tension, louder, longer lasting than EP Gold?

also (sneaking different questions into the same thread) what would be a less expensive Warchal alternative (aside from Karneol) to the above, throwing PI's into the question.

any input very much appreciated. Thank you.

Replies (16)

March 5, 2018, 4:28 PM · You might find some answers here

https://www.violinstringreview.com/spotlight-reviews/evah-pirazzi-gold-pirastro-spotlight-review

March 5, 2018, 4:54 PM · Thank you, Roger. yes, I did find that very helpful. enough to decide that I am not going to venture into the Green, but stick with the Gold.

I'm still interested in Warchal recommendations.

Edited: March 5, 2018, 6:36 PM · My opinion won't be popular in these forums, but I feel the EP green are great for what their purpose is, and of the two sets, is the one that allows for a lighter tension variant (which really amounts to medium, as the true mittel is a bit high tension.) The EP Gold come in only that "Medium" flavor, whether your violin likes it or not.

(I don't think that is of much relevance to you in particular, Mr. Snow, but had to make note of it.)

Brilliant and Brilliant Vintage for the second question (perhaps the first being more appealing to you, because you seem to not prefer lower tension.)

March 5, 2018, 6:39 PM · The same site has a tension chart, which is very useful for finding alternative with similar tension.

https://www.violinstringreview.com/uploads/1/5/0/1/15014224/tension_set_201409.png

March 5, 2018, 8:27 PM · Adalberto: I just don't like tension as low as Karneols, or whatever it is that makes them so bouncy. are you saying then, that Brilliant Vintage is lower tension than Brilliant? Sorry, I can't seem to link to the tension chart right now. just how brilliant are the Brilliants. What other string could you compare them to. EP green or Gold or PI's or any thing else?

also, a bit confused... the 2 sets of EP green that you speak of. Are they medium & heavy or medium with an aluminum D...or something. I think I would be more interested in EP green with lighter tension.

Thanks for bearing with me.

March 5, 2018, 9:40 PM · I think Adalberto means Evah greens in light tension.

I've liked them too - the tension is comfortable, but not overly low.

They were less brilliant than the medium Evah greens and more colorful sounding.

March 5, 2018, 10:54 PM · thanks for clearing that up, Andrew. Green lights never occurred to me. Less brilliant and more colorful with less tension. I don't think either me or my violin could handle the mediums, but the lights sound very intriguing.
March 22, 2018, 9:50 AM · I've only used mediums on my violin and viola several years ago. On viola, I found the gold a little more strident than green.I found the lights to be fantastic on my bass with great pizz sustain and easy bowing with much easier playing that allowed me more hours prior to fatigue. I now play Kaplan AMO on vln vla.
March 22, 2018, 1:14 PM · The regular Evahs (Greens) are higher-tension, louder, and less complex than EP Golds. However, despite their loudness under the ear, the lack of richness means that they seem to project less well than Golds, at least in my experience.

They are the same core material, and they both have a relatively short string lifespan. (You can keep using them long after their ideal lifespan, but tonal quality is certainly not what it is when they're new.)

I think the closest Warchal equivalents to EP Golds are the Brilliant / Brilliant Vintage strings, but they're not really all that similar. At least on my violin, Brilliant Vintage is more comparable to Passione than to EP Golds. Warchal strings are lower-tension.

Brilliant Vintage is terrific on my violin, but Passiones are a little bit better.

March 22, 2018, 3:27 PM · Lydia: I agree with your assessment of green vs gold.

I'm a bit nervous about my choice of Warchal BV over WB. oh well, I've got 2 fiddles which are both currently strung with mostly EPG. and they both sound fairly similar (which I like)... to over simplify, one is quieter, one is louder. So if I think I would like the Warchals, I'll just order a set of Brilliant and see what set works best on which fiddle.

What do you think of the WBV and/or the WB E strings?

Thank you.

March 22, 2018, 3:32 PM · I generally agree with Lydia on the Evah Golds vs Greens, although I find that the Evah Greens project better than the Gold. Otherwise, I prefer the Golds (although I choose to play neither set).

Brilliant Vintage are also really great strings. I'd also consider the full Amber set from Warchal, which is quite rich and has a unique D and E string design. The D combines both aluminum and silver in the winding to get the best of both worlds, and the E has an effective helix design.

For lifespan, I've always found both Evah sets to be the shortest lived out there. There are known issues with the windings in the nut area on the Evah Green A string -- they tend to separate.

PI strings are very hit or miss -- some violins really don't do well with them. I'd instead try Vision Titanium Orchestra -- they were designed to be "gut busters" by Thomastic and combine the good projection of Vision Titanium with added warmth and texture.

Good luck, and let us know what you learn for your tests.

March 22, 2018, 5:57 PM · I prefer the Warchal Amber E, so I use it with the BVs. The Avantgarde A string blends nicely with the BVs, also. (And in general, the Amber E, Avantgarde A work well with a variety of D and G strings, on my violin.)

My violin is a heavily-restored mid-19th century instrument that prefers low-tension strings, though.

March 22, 2018, 11:05 PM · +1 on amber e
March 23, 2018, 5:59 AM · Dave Snow said "What do you think of the WBV and/or the WB E strings?"

I did not like either of them. I found them to be very tense feeling and harsh sounding. I substituted a Gold label E when I tested them (this was before the invention of the Amber E).

The Amber E is a good string and reminds me, in sound, a lot of the Hill E. Amber has the advantage of great response and better feel in the left hand, while sacrificing some focus in higher positions.

March 23, 2018, 8:21 AM · Dougals: thanks for answering that Question. I'm not completely sold on the Amber E. I've got one on top the fridge, along with a few other E's and other miscellaneous strings. but as per your post, looks like I'm doing some E trials with the WBV.

on one of my fiddles I'm using (of all things) a Prelude E. I like 'em. clear, warm, fairly loud, descent thickness and medium tension.

March 23, 2018, 8:36 AM · For me when it comes to Evah Pirazzi Green vs Gold, it would be the green, hands down. On different violins I found them to be slightly more projecting and powerful, and since they have more "edge" than the Gold, they seemed to be a little richer. Now they could feel stiffer than the golds but I got they impression that they are slightly thinner so, again, I prefer them. Plus they could be pushed harder than the golds. I still believe that they need to be pushed hard to deliver their best though, and if you can handle their loss of their initial sparkle after a few weeks, they remain consistent for a long time. However, as Douglas said the A sometimes has some issues on the nut, but that could be a missmatch of tension and instrument. Some people have used the weich gauge and it was a different experience.

Regarding the PI's soundwise they reminded me of the Evahs (the greens) especially when recording (maybe a little brighter). They feel much more pliable under the left hand but I could feel the tension under the bow.

Of all three I could "stand" the Evah Pirazzi Green for significantly more time from the moment they all start to go downhill. With this particular set, darker stickier rosins could do wonders.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases