Exercises to prevent 4th finger from pressing into third

March 4, 2018, 11:24 PM · I've developed a bad habit of letting my fourth finger press against my third finger when it isn't in use, this isn't a problem until i need to play quick notes involving the fourth finger. I've tried just doing slow scale fragments involving the fourth finger, but the second I lose concentration and focus on another aspect of play I notice that my fourth squeezes back against my third.

Replies (2)

March 5, 2018, 5:40 AM · Hard to say something without seeing you play, but this could be a result of a LH-position that's too much oriented toward the first finger. You could try a 'fourth-finger-friendly' position. Place your fourth finger the way you want it, and then work your way back and let the other fingers find a comfortable position without changing the position of the fourth. You might have to stretch your first finger back a little more than you're used to, especially if you have small hands. You could give the first two pages of Schradieck a try with this idea in mind.
In case you have Fischer's 'Basics' there's also some useful information on this topic, if I recall correctly.
March 5, 2018, 12:39 PM · Agree with Stefan. What does your teacher say? If you want more feedback, a video/picture would help.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases