hand fatigue aides/remedies

March 4, 2018, 10:16 AM · So as a former uscf bike racer and triathlete, muscle fatigue is something I’ve dealt with for many years.
What remedies do you use when you over-do it?
My go-to remedies are hydration (gatorade), muscle recovery drinks (Endurox R4 in smaller doses), and those little usb charge hand warmers (found mine at Eddie Bauer.) What doesn’t work for me- ice, nsaids (except for while playing), electro-stim.

Replies (9)

March 4, 2018, 10:19 AM · do not over-do it. If you do, take rest. Do no abuse your own body.
March 4, 2018, 10:38 AM · Of course, but sometimes you have multiple commitments on consecutive days, so not always possible. That said, like with the heart, the faster you can recover, the less time is lost.
Edited: March 4, 2018, 11:06 AM ·

I don't have your issues, but I am a believer in Probiotics. I use to take a 10 billion pill every so often to prevent colds. When I was doing this everyone around me was ill, but I was fine, or I was only sick in the mornings and had energy to do a full days work.

You can google probiotics and muscles health, there's a lot out there to read.

March 4, 2018, 3:44 PM · +1 on gut flora!
March 4, 2018, 6:11 PM · Interesting...as a former competitive distance runner, I used some of those (including endurox) after races and hard workouts, but I never thought to try them for recovery from viola-related fatigue and/or strain.

I don't use ice, but sometimes take advil. I also use capsaicin cream and arnica if I'm really sore.

April 2, 2018, 9:01 AM · Is the discomfort from over-playing really the in muscles rather than in tendons or ligaments?
April 2, 2018, 10:52 AM · "Musicians are the athletes of the small muscles"--? And we can learn something from the pro.sports trainers and sports medicine doctors. Stretching,posture, warm-ups, frequent short breaks, avoid over-training. If the schedule allows it, alternate heavy and light practice days. Oxygen (breathing), water, electrolytes for the nerves (esp. potassium, magnesium), protein to rebuild stressed muscles...
The other profession that still has not learned these lessons is the military; they break people in training all the time.
Edited: April 2, 2018, 7:11 PM · Adrian, I think that it’s muscle soreness. If it was ligaments, I’d be VERY concerned, but it does subside with normal schedule playing for me and is not recurrent as one might expect with tendonitis.
April 2, 2018, 8:59 PM · Swimming works for me. It alleviates fatigue in my back, shoulder and hand when I overdo the practice.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases