Got my Carlisle fixed up.

June 2, 2017, 2:12 AM · Finally got my Carlisle fixed up, new bridge strings, now need to learn.. : ) photos below.

https://goo.gl/photos/DPLEgbUX9aHmALj39

Replies (25)

June 2, 2017, 3:26 AM · Wow, it looks nice! How is it playing?
June 2, 2017, 4:32 AM · I second that response that violin looks beautiful and I would like to know how well it sounds
June 2, 2017, 5:15 AM · Fabulous looking violin. Fitted with Dominants?

If you do not have a teacher yet, I suggest starting with two sessions a day, each no longer than about 30 minutes.

For the first session, try Auer Book 1. All open string work to rapidly advance bow control (dynamics, rhythm and articulations), where just about all the quality of sound comes from. The etudes are based on actual melodies, some famous, so you "make music" while you bow.

For the second session, start off with some two octave G major scales, from the first position, as a warm up. Then learn a simple tune that can be played on a single string with the first three fingers and the open string.

June 2, 2017, 5:40 AM · These are no Dominants.
June 2, 2017, 10:47 AM · I think it sounds amazing, but I have never played a violin let alone a 5k ish one. I can make a recording of some open strings, that is the only thing that sounds decent for me right now lol.
June 2, 2017, 12:13 PM · I hope you have lots of fun!
June 2, 2017, 12:16 PM · I would like to know what those psychedelic strings are and why...
June 2, 2017, 3:10 PM · Judging by the sheen and thickness of the string plus the dull silk wrapping, I'm guessing the strings are an off-brand set of metal...

Get a set of nice strings, unless going for fiddlin'! :)

Edited: June 2, 2017, 4:53 PM · ...also, the after-lenght seems a bit off.
This violin has a very unusual design of C bouts and F openings. I do not remember seeing any violin like it.
Pesky remarks aside, I hope that you will enjoy playing it.
Edited: June 2, 2017, 5:06 PM · @Rocky I thought something looked off - I like the design quite a bit. It looks very attractive - more appealing to my eye than the more common plantilla (Is it called that in violin?).

I wonder what required fixing up?

@The String Peeps

I was looking at this last night before I left work and wondered the same - I was half way through using the sound posts wrapping list to see if I could find a match when my shift ended, and said I'd do it when I got home.. of course I didn't and now I'm still left wondering!

June 2, 2017, 5:13 PM · To test the afterlenght, pizz at the g string afterlenght, it sould be a d (one octave above d string).
June 2, 2017, 6:00 PM · It's basically a Del Gesu style (C bouts and f holes). Looks like a very nice instrument.
Edited: June 3, 2017, 9:46 AM · Ron, which Del Gesu, in particular? My own, made after "Kemp" looks completely different. He was known for some odd details and hasty finishing. As always, if one does not knock the rim with the bow and it sounds good, who cares?
June 2, 2017, 10:29 PM · The guy who fixed it said to get cheaper strings at 1st so if I break one I don't have to pay as much to replace it. The fingerboard needed some gluing got new tuners and a new bridge. Ill add photos of it before to that 1st gallery. I live in the Cincinnati Area so that could be why I was blessed to have come across one of his for an amazing price. The 1st guy I took it to said it was a guarneri model violin, but said he did some funky things to this particular one.
Edited: June 3, 2017, 12:09 AM · Del Gesu changed its style quite often, but its definitally del Gesu. Maybe ex Ysaye or something around thks time. A late one for sure.
June 3, 2017, 1:30 AM · It's looking good! :)
June 3, 2017, 5:39 AM · I couldnt help but notice that the flaming looks very nice.
Just a question: did you do something with the varnish, or it is just the different lighting conditions giving different perspectives in the before/after pics?
June 3, 2017, 5:57 AM · It's probably not an exact copy, but it is rather close to the "Cannone".
June 3, 2017, 11:43 AM · The lighting was different.
June 3, 2017, 1:04 PM · Here is a video clip, only like my 5th time playing. subscribe if you want to see me get better lol.

https://youtu.be/ucgR_zew36w

Edited: June 3, 2017, 3:23 PM · Step one: switch off the fan, please.
Edited: June 3, 2017, 4:15 PM · Not bad Dave. I was your sixth YouTube viewer and the first one to like your video. I think you have natural talent and a good sound on the violin, you need to find a good teacher and start with just the basics such as one octave scales and a method book your teacher likes to use. You are so lucky to have such a nice instrument.
June 4, 2017, 3:35 AM · You might want to get yourself a stiffer bow,this one wobbling the hell out of your bow control.
June 4, 2017, 10:58 PM · any suggestions 80 or less?
June 4, 2017, 11:11 PM · In this price range you can try some CF ones. I heard positivly about the fiddlerman one in terms of value performance ratio but I never had one in my hands myself.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow